Funny Beef Doneness pic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have seen a few of these and they make me laugh. those who have read my beef posts know I like it very medium rare to rare. so this seemed appropriate.
IMG_5597 (Edited).jpg

Lol! It's sad sometimes -my old GF sent my family a lobster gram for Christmas one year since she couldn't be there. My sister-in-law wouldn't eat lobster but there were a couple fillets included. She wouldn't eat it until it looked like #5, I was not happy ;(

She wouldn't eat it until it looked like #5, I was not happy ;(
WOA! my wife like them to "not bleed" meaning no juice, pink is ok, but more than half end up back on the grill for more heat. I just cant cook a steak to that level of doneness. its just wrong and my brain screams TAKE IT OFF NOW. bahaha.

I didn't even like steak until I was in my 20s. I grew up in a house where thin steaks cooked very VERY well done were the preference.

Same cooking policy went for well, every kind of meat.

Hilarious!! It took time but I finally have my entire immediate family converted to medium rare. For the longest time I’d buy ribeyes or filet for myself and the cheapest cut I could find for them to make well done.

Reactions: sandyut
Sadly there are people that intentionally cook until it is well done (#5 or shoe leather as me and wife call it) THEN add ketchup to it. I guess the only way to eat shoe leather is with ketchup. Even worse are those that put ketchup on a #1, 2, or 3 steak.

Reactions: S-met
that is the exact same picture they had in outback steak house the other night, first time there in maybe 8-10 years, they mustive took the no pistols sign down because I didn't see 1. bad service bad food, over $100 for 3 of us to eat, wife demanded we go because grandson wanted it

It took me nearly 35 years to Ma Dutch to a medium well. I go for #2/#3 meownself.

It took me nearly 35 years to Ma Dutch to a medium well. I go for #2/#3 meownself.
Depends on the cut. The booze is clouding my head right now, but I know there are a couple of cuts that I like closer to medium instead of the usual black&blue.

I love under medium with a decent rest. Wife will take medium ++ but not a shoe leather well.

Got a friend that takes twice cooked potatoes to a new level. He wants a steak not only cooked well, but over cooked and dried out.

Hilarious!! It took time but I finally have my entire immediate family converted to medium rare. For the longest time I’d buy ribeyes or filet for myself and the cheapest cut I could find for them to make well done.
Funny
I read a similar comment from a chef at one of the top end aged beef joints. Anything past medium got a cheaper cut

This started way too long ago for many to remember (although there are still some of us around) when refrigeration was a premium. Safe food was COOKED (insert 'well done'). As children then and later parents that was all they knew. Those children had kids and the tradition continued. Somewhere along that continuing ancestry line the introduction of rare-to-medium began. There are those that quickly took to it but many did not. To this day, there are those that still can't appreciate the flavor that comes from gently cooked meat instead holding on to what they truly believe is properly cooked (non-pink) steak as 'good eats'. Now here is the funny thing... Many of those die hards eat prime rib that is medium rare and don't even know it. How? Because the chef dips the cut slice in the au jus for a few seconds to color everything thus removing the 'pink'. :emoji_wink: ...mind OVER matter, ha ha!

Imma going to try some SV cooking here at some point. I hear - a med rare SV steak doesnt have as much juice (wife calls it blood...UGH). if true I may be able to push her limits a little...maybe...I hope...

If everyone would just like a properly cooked steak, then this wouldnt be an issue. bahahhaa.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Imma going to try some SV cooking here at some point. I hear - a med rare SV steak doesnt have as much juice (wife calls it blood...UGH). if true I may be able to push her limits a little...maybe...I hope...

If everyone would just like a properly cooked steak, then this wouldnt be an issue. bahahhaa.

I am just like you in regards to red meat doneness. The reder the better. I got an SV unit but haven't used it yet. Thinking about a prime rib for Christmas might blow the family away! Expensive cut of meat to try a practice run on though haha

Too important of a meal to be experimenting on. Do what you know, and do it well for this meal.

JMTC :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky