Funderal Potatoes on the Pellet Grill / Smoker at smoking temps?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncage

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
So I'm already smoking a ham today at 250 (in a pellet grill). I plan to throw my funeral potatoes (cheese potato casserole) on the smoker with the ham (i would like a smoky flavor to the cheese potatoes too). Has anyone every did before? Did they turn out well? How was the texture (they have a corn flake top)? Just want to make sure i'm not going in reverse by trying to impart a smoking flavor to them. They usually take between 45 minutes to 1 hour in the oven @ 350 so i'm guessing they will take between 75 to 90 minutes at 250.

I would treat this similar to smoking Mac and cheese, but depending on your preference and wood choice that may be to much smoke. Possibly smoke for 45-60 minutes then finish in the oven or cover in foil. Let us know how it turns oiy

Reactions: ncage and JLeonard
I would treat this similar to smoking Mac and cheese, but depending on your preference and wood choice that may be to much smoke. Possibly smoke for 45-60 minutes then finish in the oven or cover in foil. Let us know how it turns oiy
TY.....great response. Ya for me its hard to have to much smokey flavor :). There is only 1 time i can remember something being over smokey flavor....putting to much wood on a electric smoker.

wY1lSTy.jpg
In casseroles, (or things like a pizza) it's the cheese and tomato sauce that seem to pick-up a hint of smoke. I don't have a pellet cooker, and will burn a cleaner fire for something like this eggplant parm. You could always start off with your pan covered and let the dish build some heat. Then uncovered to build flavor.

If you like it smokey I’d hold off on the toppings until near the end. That allows you to stir it from time to time to distribute that surface smoke through the dish.

You may also want to stir a couple of times, or only the top will get any smoke.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Get the smoke first before you take to temp, it picks up more smoke when wet a lot better than dry with a pellet smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky