Full sour pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning folks,
So. I fermented a quart of half sour pickles. Fermented for 8 days. They came out great!
I was gifted a fancy fermentation crock. And it so happens I found some decent cukes for pickles.
Pickles trimmed and soaking in ice water for 2 hours.
IMG_20221223_091138130.jpg

Here they are packed in the crock with dill. The brine is 3 TBS of sea salt per 3 cups of distilled water.

IMG_20221223_093113473.jpg

Brine added.

IMG_20221223_093226057.jpg

Sealing gizmo put on.

IMG_20221223_093313636.jpg

I'll let these ferment for 3 weeks before trying. Thanks for looking!

interesting looking container! the color of the cukes sure looks nice, especially with it all white outside. hope they turn out great for you!

Looking good my friend!! When the holiday melee calms down, I'm gonna ask you and Jeff some Q's about that kraut you did and the proper equipment. I've seen it but not really paid a whole lot of attention (my bad) but your comments about the kraut have me really intrigued. Can't go wrong with a killer batch of pickles either!!

Robert

interesting looking container! the color of the cukes sure looks nice, especially with it all white outside. hope they turn out great for you!
Thank you!
Looking good my friend!! When the holiday melee calms down, I'm gonna ask you and Jeff some Q's about that kraut you did and the proper equipment. I've seen it but not really paid a whole lot of attention (my bad) but your comments about the kraut have me really intrigued. Can't go wrong with a killer batch of pickles either!!

Robert
Ok, fire away when the smoke settles. Homemade kraut is so much better than store bought. As most things are these days.

I bet those will be good Steve! I’m eager to see how they turn out.

Also, I’ve always kind of blew off making my own kraut because there’s always someone around me that made their own. But I like the spicy additions that you and Jeff have done, so i’ll be digging around for your threads in the future.

I bet those will be good Steve! I’m eager to see how they turn out.

Also, I’ve always kind of blew off making my own kraut because there’s always someone around me that made their own. But I like the spicy additions that you and Jeff have done, so i’ll be digging around for your threads in the future.
Thanks Joe! The spicy kraut is excellent. Next time I'm going to add a little more spice to liven it up a bit more.

Morning folks,
So. I fermented a quart of half sour pickles. Fermented for 8 days. They came out great!
I was gifted a fancy fermentation crock. And it so happens I found some decent cukes for pickles.
View attachment 652019

Here they are packed in the crock with dill. The brine is 3 TBS of sea salt per 3 cups of distilled water.

View attachment 652020

Brine added.

View attachment 652021

Sealing gizmo put on.

View attachment 652022

looking good in the hood there bro. I bet they come out great!

HT

looking good in the hood there bro. I bet they come out great!

HT
Thanks! They are happily bubbling away in the brine. At this rate. They'll be some sour suckers for sure. As jcam222 jcam222 mentioned. I had to open the air lock today. And press the seal down. To submerge them completely.

Reactions: jcam222
Morning folks,
View attachment 652019

View attachment 652020

Brine added.

View attachment 652021

Sealing gizmo put on.

View attachment 652022

Looks good!

Santa Claus brought me one of the E-Jen fermenting containers and I'll be giving it a try soon -- maybe for some pickles.

I see you've plugged the hole in the top of the inner lid. I was wondering about that. The container I have doesn't come with instructions and I've seen videos where some people plug it and other don't. I concluded that keeping it unplugged makes it work effectively like a fermentation lock in a more "traditional" fermentation setup; i.e., CO2 can bubble out without pushing the inner "lid" up, but liquid above the hole in the inner lid keeps the oxygen out.

My plan was to leave the plug out, press the inner lid down until I had brine in the inner lid and then put the outer lid on to keep the smell down. I would plan to check on it every day or so to make sure there was always water on the inner lid.

What do you think of that approach? Have you had bubbling yet with your pickles?

Thanks!

Looks good!

Santa Claus brought me one of the E-Jen fermenting containers and I'll be giving it a try soon -- maybe for some pickles.

I see you've plugged the hole in the top of the inner lid. I was wondering about that. The container I have doesn't come with instructions and I've seen videos where some people plug it and other don't. I concluded that keeping it unplugged makes it work effectively like a fermentation lock in a more "traditional" fermentation setup; i.e., CO2 can bubble out without pushing the inner "lid" up, but liquid above the hole in the inner lid keeps the oxygen out.

My plan was to leave the plug out, press the inner lid down until I had brine in the inner lid and then put the outer lid on to keep the smell down. I would plan to check on it every day or so to make sure there was always water on the inner lid.

What do you think of that approach? Have you had bubbling yet with your pickles?

Thanks!
I am going to try exactly this on the next batch.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
Between Jeff and me. We'll have 2 approaches covered on this. I've had to burp this twice now. The Co2 does lift the seal up a little. I just open the plug. Push the seal down to burp the gases. And allow a tiny bit of brine to escape. Then put the plug back in.

And here they are. Been fermenting since Dec. 23.

P1140154.JPG

Looking real good!

P1140155.JPG

Yielded 3 quarts. Minus one pickle. Had to try it! Excellent flavor. Not fully as sour as I was aiming for. But gives a little pucker! And though they had crunch. I believe they can be crunchier with fresh cukes. Even had a pint of brine leftover for future ferments.

Nice job Steve. They look really good from here

Point for sure
Chris

I bet those are good. Look great! I got to get some refrigerator pickles done. I wish I would of wrote down what I did that last batch of habanero garlic. Turned out great.

Reactions: chopsaw
I bet those are good. Look great! I got to get some refrigerator pickles done. I wish I would of wrote down what I did that last batch of habanero garlic. Turned out great.
Thanks! If you do remember your recipe. I'd like to see it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky