Full smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wildcatter

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Mountains of Western Maryland
So hams need 3 weeks of cure, a soak and an equilibration period before smoke. No problem, but does anyone have a clue what bad things will happen if I leave the ham curing on the salt bench while I smoke the bacon? The only thing I can think of is particles sticking to the wet sticky ham, but it gets washed after curing anyway. Same thing if it's in there aging and I want to smoke something.

Hello Wildcatter.  If you get no reply PM Pops6927 and ask him to look at your thread.  He is the MAN for brine, hams and bacon and such. Nice guy.  I'm sure he will offer advice.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

There are two different types of cure. Depends upon which you did. There is a rubbed dry cure and a brined wet cure. Two completely different animals. If you are having questions about a dry cure I suggest you sent BearCarver a /PM, just search Bearcarver he's mot so hard to find. If its a wet brine Pops6927 is the expert.  I am sure there two can help on both sides of the coin but each is like the resident go to guy in their areas. There are others also but......if those two can not help you..... you are really in a 9-line bind.

I mostly use the wet cure, its pretty much idiot proof which fits me just fine...LOL

Personally I would think nothing would happen. If the ham is in fact cured, you can hang it till its smoked. The smoke is to keep the buggs away, which we found that also added flavor.  Seems 3 weeks would be a short cure if brined though. Last ham I did, I left for a couple a days short of 4 weeks and it was just a picnic.

Heres a copy of Pops guide:

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

Hope I helpped a little, if not you now know who to PM and they will definately help.

It will not to smoke sausage with hams in the salt that is the way it has been done for 100 of years both of my grand parents and my dad and I have done it.

James R. Settle

Clarksville TN.

[email protected]

We really need more information about your curing process. Salt Bench? Are you doing country Hams, that are rub cured and pressed between boards? Aging? Confused to the point I can't give any suggestions...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky