Fuel for my offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll add that you want your firebox to have a grate on the bottom so the fire is not just setting on the curved bottom...you want air to feed the fire from the bottom up. If you don't have that, let us know and folks will give you suggestions how to get or make one.

I suggest starting with coals and only adding splits after that. But of course your firebox is too small for a standard split. Do you have access to (and feel comfortable using) a chop saw? You can then cut in two standard splits (Home Depot sells them by the bag) quite easily.

And yes, offsets consume a lot of wood. That may be the simplest explanation to why so many consider them the best cooker for imparting wood smoke flavor. But there are situations (e.g. apartment living) where they're just not the best tool for the job.

But even if you eventually gravitate to another smoker (and I have lots) time spent on an offset (and yes they require near-constant tinkering during a cook) is never time wasted. You're learning techniques applicable to all smoking approaches.

Reactions: Pit pixie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky