Frustrated with AMazeN pellet tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
As the title suggests, I'm getting really frustrated with my AMazeN pellet tray as it just refuses to stay lit or generate much smoke.

I have the tray, the expandable 6-9" tube, and a 12" tube. The tubes work great, they just don't last long enough at 4 hours for the 12" tube. The tray I have nothing but problems.

I use lumber jack char hickory pellets and I have tried puting the unlit pellets in while the smoker comes to temp but that doesn't seem to help at all, and honestly I don't think it has anything to do with the pellets because I have no problems with the pellets in the tube, only the tray.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

What smoker are you using it with? The tray's work best with electric smokers. Other types of smokers that burn fuel for heat often don't have enough O2 left for pellets in the tray to burn. For example, I can't keep a tray burning in my pellet grill no matter what I do.

Reactions: tallbm
What smoker are you using it with? The tray's work best with electric smokers. Other types of smokers that burn fuel for heat often don't have enough O2 left for pellets in the tray to burn. For example, I can't keep a tray burning in my pellet grill no matter what I do.

Yes, it's a pellet grill (Pit Boss 1100). But I only have problems with the tray, the tubes work great.

Yes, it's a pellet grill (Pit Boss 1100). But I only have problems with the tray, the tubes work great.

Right, the tubes are designed to work in fuel burning grills/smokers. They don't require as much oxygen. The trays need more O2. I know a few folks (very few) that say they can keep them lit in their pellet grills, but it really depends on fan and air volume of the particular grill and how much O2 is left in the air after it fuels the burn pot. The trays don't work well at higher altitudes either, so it doesn't take much of a reduction to cause problems.

If you need more smoke you can either use 2 tubes, or just refuel them after they burn out.

Right, the tubes are designed to work in fuel burning grills/smokers. They don't require as much oxygen. The trays need more O2. I know a few folks (very few) that say they can keep them lit in their pellet grills, but it really depends on fan and air volume of the particular grill and how much O2 is left in the air after it fuels the burn pot. The trays don't work well at higher altitudes either, so it doesn't take much of a reduction to cause problems.

If you need more smoke you can either use 2 tubes, or just refuel them after they burn out.

Ok, well I guess that answers that lol. I didn't know the trays aren't meant to work in pellet grills.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Try making your pellets into dust and use that in your tray. Take about 3 big handfuls and put them in a coffee can,ad water to soak them for about 5 mins. Lay out on sheet pan and put in 270° oven for about an hour or little more. The dust seems to be a little lighter smoke also.

The tray is designed for electrics like the MES.

That's what I originally bought the tray for, a MES 30, but that smoker died a couple years ago and it was too small anyways. After taking a break for a couple years for various reasons, I decided to get a pellet grill, the Pit Boss 1100. Honestly, I remember always having issues with the tray in the MES too.

Since the tubes work great and don't give me any problems I guess I will buy a couple of the expandable 12-18 inch tubes. Having two to rotate between should give me what I want time wise.

P.S. Up the Irons!

did you try putting your tray on the very bottom underneath the metal drip shield next to where the pellets get burned up.

I use two 12" tubes at once & have 2 more as backups. I microwave the pellets in a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup (filled to the brim just fills a standard tube) for 2 minutes, then spread on a baking sheet to cool before adding to the tube. Also be sure to give it a really good burn to start and maybe figure how to give it more make-up air.

Last edited:
did you try putting your tray on the very bottom underneath the metal drip shield next to where the pellets get burned up.

No, I have not tried that, but honestly that just sounds like a pain in the butt.

Now that I know what the issue is, that there is not enough oxygen in a pellet grill to keep the tray going it just makes sense to stick with the tubes and compensate for time by having more tubes on hand to rotate.

That's what I originally bought the tray for, a MES 30, but that smoker died a couple years ago and it was too small anyways. After taking a break for a couple years for various reasons, I decided to get a pellet grill, the Pit Boss 1100. Honestly, I remember always having issues with the tray in the MES too.

Since the tubes work great and don't give me any problems I guess I will buy a couple of the expandable 12-18 inch tubes. Having two to rotate between should give me what I want time wise.

P.S. Up the Irons!

UP the Irons!You guys just had'em last night!

I too had trouble with the tray in my MES and went with the tube but discovered it produced to much smoke.I ended up modifying it with ubolts and using crushed/ground pellets and man I've never looked back.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/u-bolt-mod-for-the-amnts.271846/

I had the same problem with the maze tray, but I had the Masterbuilt 40(MES copy) propane fueled. A-Maz-N had fantastic customer service and turned me on to the tube. I wish it said as much on the website but I still use the tray for cold smoking and it's worth every penny. I started using the dust with the tray though. Mellower flavor sooner on the cheese too.

In my electric I use the tray. I usually bake my pellets for an hour or so at 275. Sometimes I don't though. One thing to do is be sure to let the maze burn (with a flame, not just smolder) for 5-10 minutes outside the smoker.

Wow do I wish I found this thread yesterday instead of staying up until 04:30 trying to keep my tray lit. :emoji_expressionless:

One of the things with the tray is you really need to hit it with flame for about 5 minutes before blowing out the flame. The u-bolt mod has had great reviews. I went with the mailbox mod. And haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
One of the things with the tray is you really need to hit it with flame for about 5 minutes before blowing out the flame. The u-bolt mod has had great reviews. I went with the mailbox mod. And haven't had an issue since.
Lol I'll post the full story in the cold smoked chops thread I started, but here's the cliff notes:
- started with a tray full of custom blend saw dust
- as per the manual, held torch on it for 45 seconds (or more)
- did not stay lit for the 10 mins as per manual
- attempted to do too many things at once
- went back to smoker 30 mins later, was still smoldering, but at like 1/10 it should have been
- switched to pellets
- hit the initial burn longer, pellets took off, couldn't blow the flame out
- went between not enough air (fan off), or too much air (fan on), babysat tray for the first 10 minutes to ensure it was lit for at least that before smothering
- went from a delicate balance from embers to a wide open flame by cycling the fan on and off and smothering the tray with a bacon press when needed

A few things working against me: I'm at altitude, it was 0C outside, and when the fan was off my pellet grill is rather sealed.

Attempting a modified version of the u-bolt mod (working nights, can't get down to the store for u-bolts today) in the Weber Kettle, with daveomak daveomak 's pellet dust. In the future, I need to: read this forum before plunging into anything; and test run stuff before I have $$$ invested in meat sitting in the fridge waiting to go.

Reactions: Steve H
Ah. If the pellets reignited during the smoke. Then that answers the question about the creosote.
If I'm reading this right.

Ok, well I guess that answers that lol. I didn't know the trays aren't meant to work in pellet grills.

I have been using A-Maze-N in my pellet smoker for years without any problem. The secret is to make sure it is lit well. I use a propane torch to light mine, making sure I burn it for about 20 seconds. I use Cookinpellets Perfect Mix.

I have been using A-Maze-N in my pellet smoker for years without any problem. The secret is to make sure it is lit well. I use a propane torch to light mine, making sure I burn it for about 20 seconds. I use Cookinpellets Perfect Mix.
That's the blend I'm using once I went from dust to pellets.
Let it burn for 45 with a torch. Didn't stay lit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky