Frozen vs Fresh Pork Shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pearlygates59

Original poster
Feb 24, 2021
Hi all

What are pros and cons of freezing a pork shoulder for later defrost and smoking?

The only bone in shoulders I can get here (in the United Arab Emirates!) are frozen.

All advice welcome thanks!

No problems, I would hazard a guess that most of our meats has been frozen and then place out and thawed when its needed to fill the meat department shelfs. Its rare you see any type of meat as being fresh never frozen imo.

Reactions: Pearlygates59
Oh and welcome to the site, they host pictures here so its easy, also ya got to have pictures when you have a cook or it didn't happen lol

Welcome to the site!
For my area in the US, the pro of freezing it allows me to time it with the weather. I wish I had some sort of covering.
With that said, there isn't much difference on formidable cuts like shoulders/briskets/Chuckies. Freezing more delicate meats like steaks and chicken breast can change the texture if not done right.

My opinion of course.

Not a safety issue as long as done appropriately, but Freeze-thaw causes various aesthetic and structural changes ... becomes more noticeable in successive/multiple cycles. Color and water holding capacity probably the most apparent.
But we all do it and are accustomed to the resultant quality.

Welcome aboard!! Freeze pork butts all the time, especially when on sale. Have one in the smoker as we speak. Be sure to vacuum seal or at the least wrap butt good in something like press and seal then put in a 2 gallon ziploc to protect . Food saver now has expandable bags that should work in the standard sealers.

Yours maybe already in cryo-pac.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky