From Ham Town, USA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldvirginiajoe

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Smithfield, Va.
My background is I grew up in an old time country ham and sausage making Virginia family, but as I left home at 18 for college and the Army, I was never trained by my folks in the old ways of processing meats, beyond the skinning pole at the deer camp. Got a BS degree in Animal Science and after the Army, came to Smithfield, Va. and got a job as plant manager of a small USDA inspected country ham plant, where we cured, smoked, cooked, and packed country hams in many formats. My hobby has been sausage making, and I have now two old-time, wood frame smokehouses here on my farm: one, 18' x 40' x 1.5 stories high, and a small one at 8' x 8' x 12' high.  I have dry-cured slab bacon hanging in my 8x8 right now that I made for the family, and it is mighty fine!  I want to learn how to make the old style dry-cured country sausage links, cool (90-100 F.) smoked, that my North Carolina grandaddy made for our family, that was made during the cold weather season, and by spring warmth, was preserved to the point that it does not have to be refrigerated to keep it safe. It might mold, but that is not a safety issue for us. This is not a pre-cooked product. We don't have his recipe recorded anywhere, and I need it really just to know what exact preservation ingredients he included which kept it safe. If he used a cure, I am not aware of it. I always assumed he had salt as the safety factor, but I could be wrong. I want to do things safely, but I don't want to go overboard with the chemicals if they are not truly imperative. I notice lots of older publications say "get saltpetre from your local pharmacist." That is a joke, as no pharmacist I have asked for the last 20 years has any idea why I would expect them to have such a thing! Some of the seasoning companies will not answer me as to whether their sausage spice mix is safe to use in this fashion. Some old timers tell me it is, others say no. It is hard to argue with age and experience, but the stakes are high if you assume wrong. I no longer work in the plants, but my study goes on, and I'm glad to find this website today! In the mean time, my hobby is on hold. I also am studying the making of Brunswick stew in volume in the old time cast iron wash pots, and have helped a few civic groups do it at fundraisers to learn the skills so I can do it on my own with family helping.

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

welcome1.gif
.............Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with smoked and dried meats. Lots of people on this site that have a vast knowledge on smoking and sausage making as well. Hope you enjoy it here......
439.gif

I want to learn how to make the old style dry-cured country sausage links, cool (90-100 F.) smoked, that my North Carolina grandaddy made for our family, that was made during the cold weather season, and by spring warmth, was preserved to the point that it does not have to be refrigerated to keep it safe.

Welcome to SMF!

It's recommended that you use quite a bit of salt in such sausages (3%)
Cure #2 (cure containing both nitrite and nitrate) is a requirement because you'll be smoking at a temperature where c. botulinum is a potential problem.

The old recipes for smoked country sausage are usually very simple. Some are just salt, black pepper and sage, many also include red pepper flakes, sometimes nutmeg or mace are also included.

The sausage would have to be dried down quite a bit to not require refrigeration, they must be dried down to Aw (water activity level) of

Last edited:
What you say is (mostly) what I've been told for a decade, however, some where here on SMF I read of an inspected company in KY making such products with NO cures, and I have contacted them, and they have written me back today saying the USDA has approved their product for many years without this cure ingredient. I don't understand how this can be---can you help me clear this up?

see    broadbenthams.com

If they are smoking the sausage and not using liquid smoke or cure, then they have to be following a different course of action to prevent the growth of c. botulinum.
Either smoking at very low temperature

Last edited:
It just says "Contains no nitrites" it doesn't say anything about nitrates, and it says it is only good out of refrigeration for 10 days and to refrigerate as soon as you receive it.

I don't know much about this stuff but am trying to learn. I just read Nepas post about nitrates and how companies are adding celery juice and saying "no nitrates added" so it got me thinking something similar is going on here.

Whatchu think Martin?

If you say a product contains no nitrites, isn't that the same as saying "we added no nitrate," since added nitrate would reduce to nitrite, and therefore the statement would be under stood to mean the product (has never) contained "either?"  Does that logic make sense?  All these word games in the wider food industry make my head hurt! I see "all natural" chicken sold in the store, but that "all natural" chicken has been "injected" with 12+/- % water, and salt, and sodium, and "broth," and yet the almighty government says that is perfectly truthful, legal English?  And another brand says "contains no preservatives," but has considerable added salt--since when is salt not a preservative?  There are examples like this throughout the grocery store--who can make sense of it anymore?

If you say a product contains no nitrites, isn't that the same as saying "we added no nitrate," since added nitrate would reduce to nitrite, and therefore the statement would be under stood to mean the product (has never) contained "either?"  Does that logic make sense?

You're correct, it would reduce to nitrite, but the key word is "added". No added nitrite is different than, nitrite reduced from nitrate.
So, the label could say no added nitrite, but theoretically have added nitrate, I suppose, and it'd be correct, because nitrite wasn't added, nitrate was added.
If there's no cure, then they should come out and say so, "no added cure" or "no added nitrite or nitrate".

I hate all the word game BS too, which is one of the reasons I process all my own meats!!!

~Martin

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum neighbor.  Oh ya and we like pictures.. like ones of [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]18' x 40' x 1.5 stories high smoke houses. haha.  I think you will enjoy the wealth of knowledge available here.  Also, I see that martin has chimed in.  I just used his calc to figure out my cure #1, sugar and salt ratio for a bacon recipe. [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Nice to see another Virginia boy on here.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Aaron.[/color]

Thanks for the welcomes here!  Virginia Ham is famous world-wide, so yes, we stick together here in the Old-Dominion. I enjoyed my time doing my "hobby" in the plants for 7 years. Too bad the salary was so slight, and the OT so heavy.  I will try to get some pics of the buildings here--they don't look like much yet, as I have not painted them since I have had them, and have some repairs to do yet to the siding.  I hope to get something going with the buildings before I get too old. I want to make money with them, but it seems the govt has made it so you can't get a meat business going on a budget anymore. All the old Virginia meat names (Luter, Gwaltney, Todd, Pruden, Joyner, Sprigg, Edwards, Beale, Felts, Harrell, Pulley) would find it impossible to get started anymore----freedom?  . . . . yeah right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky