From Brinkman charcoal smoker to Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red sled

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2017
I've been using a Brinkman charcoal smoker for six years or so, and the results were mostly good. We really enjoy smoked meats: burgers, chicken pieces, beef roast, pork loin roast, pork steak, pork chops, bratwurst, even fish on foil, and the water pan seemed to keep things moist. However, when both racks were full it was tricky to add more hickory chunks if I needed to, and even more tricky to add charcoal if necessary to finish off the cook. Recently the water pan finally rusted through, and my wife and I began to casually discuss new smokers. Imagine my surprise when she presented to me on Christmas Day a new Masterbuilt 30' electric smoker... model # 20078715 .

The fussing and fiddling of trying to regulate temperature looks to be over, and it looks to have an efficient and convenient way to use/supply wood chips. I won't miss the charcoal hassle either.

Still need to season the unit then I'll be anxious to try our first meats in the smoker in the coming days... in spite of temperatures below freezing. I would appreciate any tips or tricks for using our new investment, including which meats go above or below others when cooking multiple kinds (or if having a rack for each of beef, pork, chicken is not recommended) , which remote meat thermometer probe to buy, etc. I'm sure we will try new things too. Thank you in advance, I'm thrilled to find this site yesterday.

Last edited:
The fussing and fiddling of trying to regulate temperature looks to be over, and it looks to have an efficient and convenient way to use/supply wood chips. I won't miss the charcoal hassle either.

You have A new set of different things to fuss and fiddle with.

For me coming from a gasser that was very finicky to adjust temp the MES sure is easy and simple. Set the temp and forget it is what I have found, I see some over and under run on the temps like talked about above but nothing to wide so I don't even worry about them. I start the smoker and let it come to temp before butting the meat in then just let it do its thing, a 20 degree over run for a few minutes isn't going to effect a 50 degree piece of meat all that much and after a couple on off cycles I'm only seeing a 5 or so degree on off swing.

I just picked up this off Amazon to try. Used it for one smoke so far but it works great. Probes checked out at 32 degrees in ice water and 204 in boiling water which is the right temp for my elevation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky