Frigid temps impact on smoking a brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I will be smoking a prime brisket Christmas eve. Temps will be 22 to 33 F. My offset smoker has thick steel and a pretty thick steel fire box. The floor of the fire box is 1/2 inch thick. Should I plan on a longer smoke due to ambient temps? Will be finishing in the oven and then rest in a cooler indoors until dinner time. 3pm. Brisket is 11 lbs untrimmed.

Your smoker should handle the cooler temps just fine as long as it's not to windy out. Smoke the brisket until the stall and finish in the oven. Enjoy the holiday and the brisket.

Chris

Reactions: SmokyMose
I smoke all year long. You will burn more fuel in the cold, but so long as your smoker will maintain decent temps in the cold, it will be fine. More of a discomfort issue with the cook, than anything else.

Reactions: nicefly
Sounds like you have a pretty heavy duty smoker, so once it gets heated up, as long as there isn't a lot of wind, and maybe a bit more wood used, you should be fine. You might freeze your tail off tending it :-)
Finishing in the oven after wrapping is the only way to go for me.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky