Fried Pork Skins, 2nd try: Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
I ran accross a few old threads doing a search lastnight, and had to try these again. Yesterday, I did a fry-only, and they were far less than desirable. Today I was armed with a bit better info on methods.

I did a boil of the whole skin for approx 3 hours until the skin had swollen up to about 4 times it's original thickness (not including fat/other tissues) and was begining to get a fall apart texture. I removed it from the pot, drained and chilled @ 20* for a couple hours before continuing. Now it was time to slice and fry!

Boiled, chilled, sliced and heading for some hot fat/oil:

75d70c9c_1.jpg

Just into the pot, getting things settled in a bit...tried to run at 350* oil temp, but my pot was not deep enough to contain the spattering grease...these babies really pop alot at higher temps, and cause some pretty violent micro-explosions:

3642cdad_2.jpg

I'm just about to pull them out for draining and seasoning...I waited until the texture started getting spoungy with the tongs and they were getting a golden brown color:

62424fc4_3.jpg

I hit them with a good dose of Cajun seasoning and tossed them for a minute in a collander before hitting the paper towel lined pan:

a36507cd_4.jpg

The flavor was great, texture so-so, being crunchy on the outside and still had some grease in the interior from cooking too slow...I needed to fry them at a higher temp to get a puffier/crispier product....I'm getting closer to the real deal though...a deep pot (20 quart or larger) with a proper lid will be next on my quarterly order for cooking gear:

58e7aee6_5.jpg

Well, as they say, practice makes perfect. Now, I'll have to locate a couple more picnic shoulders to skin out so I can try fried pork skins again...er...uh...OK, I'll smoke the picnics for pulled pork, too! LOL!!!

Eric

Nice try Eric,

I would think there would be some guys on here who could make these things in their sleep, since they were knee high to a gator.  They should be along soon with some tips.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky