1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fried Pork Skins, 2nd try: Q-view

Discussion in 'Pork' started by forluvofsmoke, Aug 16, 2010.

1. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I ran accross a few old threads doing a search lastnight, and had to try these again. Yesterday, I did a fry-only, and they were far less than desirable. Today I was armed with a bit better info on methods.

I did a boil of the whole skin for approx 3 hours until the skin had swollen up to about 4 times it's original thickness (not including fat/other tissues) and was begining to get a fall apart texture. I removed it from the pot, drained and chilled @ 20* for a couple hours before continuing. Now it was time to slice and fry!

Boiled, chilled, sliced and heading for some hot fat/oil:

[​IMG]

Just into the pot, getting things settled in a bit...tried to run at 350* oil temp, but my pot was not deep enough to contain the spattering grease...these babies really pop alot at higher temps, and cause some pretty violent micro-explosions:

[​IMG]

I'm just about to pull them out for draining and seasoning...I waited until the texture started getting spoungy with the tongs and they were getting a golden brown color:

[​IMG]

I hit them with a good dose of Cajun seasoning and tossed them for a minute in a collander before hitting the paper towel lined pan:

[​IMG]

The flavor was great, texture so-so, being crunchy on the outside and still had some grease in the interior from cooking too slow...I needed to fry them at a higher temp to get a puffier/crispier product....I'm getting closer to the real deal though...a deep pot (20 quart or larger) with a proper lid will be next on my quarterly order for cooking gear:

[​IMG]

Well, as they say, practice makes perfect. Now, I'll have to locate a couple more picnic shoulders to skin out so I can try fried pork skins again...er...uh...OK, I'll smoke the picnics for pulled pork, too! LOL!!!

Eric

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice try Eric,

I would think there would be some guys on here who could make these things in their sleep, since they were knee high to a gator.  They should be along soon with some tips.

Bear