Friday Night Brisket Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well good luck! I can't wait to hear how the Tatonka Dust rub turns out! My wife finally ordered some but only got the shaker size, if it was something she wanted it would be the biggest they make.

Ok, I pulled it to separate the point and the flat is falling apart and very moist. I think the super bark was making it feel tougher than it really was.

Piece of the flat fell off after separating, so I sliced that piece up and fed it to my guests. Wrapped the rest of the flat up in butcher paper and into the cooler.

Chopped the point into burnt ends and tossed in another 50/50 mix of turbinado sugar and Tatonka Dust and put in a foil pan with a little bit of beer (Molson Canadian). Back into the WSM with the turds.

Good grief.

Reactions: bigridgeback
Well good luck! I can't wait to hear how the Tatonka Dust rub turns out! My wife finally ordered some but only got the shaker size, if it was something she wanted it would be the biggest they make.
There would even be a closet dedicated to it!

Ok, I pulled it to separate the point and the flat is falling apart and very moist. I think the super bark was making it feel tougher than it really was.
Piece of the flat fell off after separating, so I sliced that piece up and fed it to my guests. Wrapped the rest of the flat up in butcher paper and into the cooler.

Chopped the point into burnt ends and tossed in another 50/50 mix of turbinado sugar and Tatonka Dust and put in a foil pan with a little bit of beer (Molson Canadian). Back into the WSM with the turds.

Good grief.

would be better with pbr. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

would be better with pbr. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
True, PBR makes a lot of things better
biggrin.gif

Rest. I know it's tough but the rest man. Never cut it that close again I bet.
The bark messed with me, big time. This could have been pulled and hour ago or more...An earlier start never hurts.

There's a good 1/4" of bark on there that's not so toothpick friendly. On the parts I thought were tough, I was just hitting the bark on the other side.

Last edited:
Well a good learning experience , You will know what to look foe and expect next time.  Anyway, Good Job  
icon14.gif

Gary

Well a good learning experience , You will know what to look foe and expect next time.  Anyway, Good Job  
icon14.gif

Gary
Thanks Gary,

Only my second packer
biggrin.gif

I'll have sliced pics soon, just took the burnt ends out of the pan and put them directly onto the grate and tossed some cherry chips in.

Final result; the flat was a bit overcooked. Was very hard to slice, it could not be cut thinly, many pieces fell apart, but still held moisture. The Mega-Bark was VERY tough to cut.

The burnt ends, however, stole the show. They were to die for.

A good lesson for next time. The thick bark made the toothpick test hard to judge. Good sammy meat for the next few days :biggrin:

Last edited:
Looks great, what's the corn concoction on the plate? I don't think I've seen bark that thick breaker either. How was dinner?

Definitely looks like a good brisket and sounds like you enjoyed your dinner.

Nice job patiently waiting as well.

Bryce

Nice brisky Duke, them things can be an adventure... Way to hang in ! Looks great & the burnt ends look awesome too !

Looks great, what's the corn concoction on the plate? I don't think I've seen bark that thick breaker either. How was dinner?
Thanks,

Dinner was great, that corn concoction is a home canned corn relish that Ms. Due made last weekend. Tasty stuff.
Definitely looks like a good brisket and sounds like you enjoyed your dinner.

Nice job patiently waiting as well.

Bryce
Thanks Bryce!

I was so worried about pulling it early that I actually pulled it a little late.
Nice brisky Duke, them things can be an adventure... Way to hang in ! Looks great & the burnt ends look awesome too !
Thanks!

The burnt ends were great. I might try Gary's butcher paper wrap method on my next go. I really wanted to try a no-wrap brisket with a heavy bark and I accomplished that this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky