Fresh pork shoulder cook time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kieth4548

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Ok I bought a hog from a farmer. Twice now I have tried smoking a 3 pound fresh shoulder. I have smoked them tons of times before but they came from a grocery store. These last two fresh ones have taken way longer to smoke then the store bought ones. Is there a reason for the difference in times from a fresh shoulder versus a store bought shoulder that would totally change the smoked times. I know you smoke to temp not time but usually I can estimate the time but the difference is totally throwing me off and I'm way over shooting my estimated completed times. I smoke them usually around 230. Very frustrating.

Thanks

Most store bought shoulders have been "enhanced" with a solution. So that may be part of it. Maybe the fresh shoulders are denser, meatier, less fatty?

That's what my thinking is there less fatier and more solid meat. Just trying to figure this problem out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky