Fresh leg(ham)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wardogg

Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
This fall we butchered a 300lbs hog and I am left with two roughly 25lbs fresh legs(hams). We really do not eat ham and the process seems lengthy and, for us, unworthy of the effort. I am looking for other ideas I could do with it. I froze them until I figured out what I wanted to to with them. If I unfreeze it and quarter it repackage it and then refreeze it raw is that going to affect the meat?

Reactions: kruizer
This fall we butchered a 300lbs hog and I am left with two roughly 25lbs fresh legs(hams). We really do not eat ham and the process seems lengthy and, for us, unworthy of the effort. I am looking for other ideas I could do with it. I froze them until I figured out what I wanted to to with them. If I unfreeze it and quarter it repackage it and then refreeze it raw is that going to affect the meat?
Just cut it up while it’s frozen.

Maybe try and get a game plan for what you might want to do with it after you thaw it out and cut it up. If you have whole legs you can smoke the hocks to add to bean soup. There will be several muscles that could be smoked as roasts. Used to make pulled pork, for a number of uses. Cooked in a crock pot or instapot. Once the leg is cut up you will be left with smaller muscles which could be cured and smoked, wouldn't be a huge process or time consuming as doing the whole leg. We use it for cold ham and macaroni salad. Scalloped potatoes and ham.

Ryan

Cut into fresh ham steaks. We have done that sometimes.
grinding is a option too. You can also cut into 4-6” roast pieces. If you want to cure one you could or if not just roast and enjoy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky