Fresh Ham for curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PitBawson

Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Hi all
First time poster here, I have a combed through the forums and posts here and have found similar questions being asked but not enough for me to feel comfortable attempting this cure. So here it goes.

I have a 23lb fresh ham, skin on. I'm planning on using pops brine. I also plan on injecting it. My biggest concern is can it become over cured? I have to go away to work for 2 weeks. So it would be in the brine for roughly 26 days, if I dont take it to fridge dry. Is 26 days too long?

I don't have the time to brine it when I get back from work, it only gives me about 7 days. From which I've been reading even injected wouldn't be long enough for the brine to do the work.

Thanks in advance for all your curing knowledge!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hi all
First time poster here, I have a combed through the forums and posts here and have found similar questions being asked but not enough for me to feel comfortable attempting this cure. So here it goes.

I have a 23lb fresh ham, skin on. I'm planning on using pops brine. I also plan on injecting it. My biggest concern is can it become over cured? I have to go away to work for 2 weeks. So it would be in the brine for roughly 26 days, if I dont take it to fridge dry. Is 26 days too long?

I don't have the time to brine it when I get back from work, it only gives me about 7 days. From which I've been reading even injected wouldn't be long enough for the brine to do the work.

Thanks in advance for all your curing knowledge!
Hi there and welcome!

Pops brine is popular and seems to be good stuff according to many folks here I trust.

I think your situation may call for an exactly calculated "Equilibrium Cure/Brine" which is very very very similar to Pop's brine except the measurements are exact to what you need to ENSURE you don't over brine it.

The idea is you weigh your ham.
You figure out how much water is needed and the weight of it (1 gallon weighs just at 8.3 pounds/3780 gm).
Get total weight which is:
  • Total weight = ham weight + water weight (best to have this in grams)
Now measure 1.65% in Salt weight (0.0165)
  • Salt Weight = Total Weight x 0.0165
Now measure 1% Sugar weight (0.01)
  • Sugar Weight = Total Weight x 0.01
Now measure Cure#1 weight
  • Cure#1 Weight = 1.133gm per pound of Total Weight (1.133gm x Total Weight lbs)
That gives you PERFECT measurements for your Cure/Brine so your ham never becomes too salty.
Mix up that brine (blend salt, sugar, cure#1 and water in a blender with UNHEATED water) add the blended stuff with the rest of the regular water in the curing/brining tub or bucket and inject that solution into the ham all over!

Done and never too salty because it was measured out properly to be 1.65% salt no matter how long you leave it.

Let me know if I have thorougly confused you or it makes sense.
Also here is the step by step proof in the pudding (or ham) that this works :D

^^^^^^Great advice there from tallbm tallbm , spot on!^^^^^^
Here's a site that will convert your weights into what you need. Be sure to inject down along the sides of the bone, shoot in all you can! RAY

tallbm tallbm has you covered for the correct EQ brine.

pc farmer pc farmer has you covered on the process that makes the best tasting ham I’ve ever made or eaten.

Couple things to think about.

1) if doing a cover brine like EQ, make sure your refrigerator is cold 35-37F for going close to 30 days time.
2) injection is an absolute must on a ham this size, but make sure you inject well all along and around the bone, this is critical with either method.

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
Thanks so much for all the info!
tallbm tallbm ive done the calculations as followed

4.5 gallons of water x 8.3lbs = 37.5lbs = 17009.7 grams
Ham 24lbs = 10886.2 grams
total weight in grams = 27895.9 grams
salt= 27895.9 x 0.0165= 460.28grams
sugar= 27895.9x 0.01= 278.9 grams
cure= (37.5+24) x 1.33 grams= 81.79 grams

ive mixed it up and it seems slightly less salty than other cures ive prepared, just hoping my math and conversions are accurate and make sense.

thanks again everyone!

Reactions: zwiller

ive mixed it up and it seems slightly less salty than other cures ive prepared, just hoping my math and conversions are accurate and make sense.

thanks again everyone!
Your math is close but off just a little.

water 4.5 gallon x 8.33= 37.48 pounds x 454= 17025g (rounded up to 37.5 pounds)

ham 24# x 454= 10896g

27924g total weight.

Salt) 27925 x .0165= 460.7g

Cure #1) 27925 x .0025= 69.8g ( apply at .25%)

Sugar) 27925 x .01= 279.25g

Not a huge deal with a brine and you are fine with what you mixed so go with it. I’m just showing how I do math.
Now make sure you inject at least 10% of the ham weight of brine then cover with the brine and you will make a delicious ham.

thanks again everyone!

Sounds like you are well on your way!

Once you mix up the cure/brine just be sure to properly inject it all over in the meat and along the bones and let it cure in the liquid in a fridge until it's done!

The salt calculations will do you right. Lots of other cures and such don't just eyeball it. When you do it this way you can NEVER get too salty and it's perfect!

Now if you find you want it a little more/less salty just modify the salt % at a little (from 1.65% to 1.70%) and you will be good to go in small increments like that. You can do this with pork butts to practice for cheap if you like. I personally just make my ham from the pork butts due to the price, flavor, and ease of it all. It's almost expected of me to now smoke pork butt hams for the holiday meals with my family :D

I bought a whole hind leg/ham from a local grocery store up here in canada. At $2.99/lb, I couldn't really pass it up.

I bought a whole hind leg/ham from a local grocery store up here in canada. At $2.99/lb, I couldn't really pass it up.
Ya I just got a 22 lb from my local store down the street. Went into the freezer as I am not ready for it yet. Seems they bring in these and briskets from time to time. Never seen that in Ontario before. At least in Northern Ontario.
Usually would have to go to a butcher shop to pick them up.
jt84dQK.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Please explain? Mine will be a country ham. Country hams are done with the skin on. At least thats how do mine.
It's just my personal preference , I've done one in the past with skin on which I had to cut off before eating because I couldn't chew it in my opinion it also blocks the smoke penetration. Again it's just my opinion.

It's just my personal preference , I've done one in the past with skin on which I had to cut off before eating because I couldn't chew it in my opinion it also blocks the smoke penetration. Again it's just my opinion.
Ya if your just smoking them then I agree to take to the skin off. If you are aging them like in a country ham then I will leave the skin on. I think the OP is just smoking his so that is a good point.

Good day all!,
So the ham came out of the brine today, is there anyway for me to check for any spoilage close to the bone if my injection wasn't enough, I did inject very heavily. This is just my first long brine and want to make sure it's properly cured before I cook it. Meat that I can see is nice and pink, no discoloration, no abnormal smell, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Push a skewer (cleaned) into the meat along the bone, remove and give it a sniff. If it sour you know something went wrong if it smells meaty and clean you are good to go.
Little late seeing this...
SE has you covered. Only thing I will add is that it is best to insert through fat, not clean meat on the surface. This allows you to push the fat back together to seal the hole.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks everyone, the ham turned out perfectly! It was the best ham I've ever had! I did it over open fire rotisserie. It was fabulous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_103930_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_103930_Instagram.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky