Fresh cut hickory question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Crozet, VA
I just cut some hickory 2 days ago from a live tree I cut down for my parents, one of the branches one of the branches up at the top of the tree was dead with the bark starting to peel off. Pictures below.
20200220_180828.jpg
20200220_180833.jpg

The wood is solid not rotten or anything is rock solid very hard wood, I figured this peice is already season and ready to smoke with just wonder if it's ok to smoke with or if I should just keep buying hickory chunks until all the green wood is season next year?
I cut some into disk that I am going to split into chunks I hope they will be seasoned but August.
20200220_180842.jpg

And cut some smaller branches too hoping they would season sooner that the full size peices that I split for my offset smoker.
20200220_180851.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Burn it will be fine, the sap is down out iof the tree’s and even the live will work,

Reactions: Motorboat40
The dead stuff looks good to go. Also appears you got those yellow belly sap suckers by the rows of holes in the bark.
Even live winter wood has too much moisture to use without some seasoning. August is a good start to toss on the fire.

I cut biscuits similar to yours in mid September and they were ready by Christmas. I kept mine in an area that never gets below about 42-44 degrees however, so ymmv.

I cut biscuits similar to yours in mid September and they were ready by Christmas. I kept mine in an area that never gets below about 42-44 degrees however, so ymmv.
Cool thats good to know I'm keeping them in my garage so its dry and not as cold as it is outside. I also split the busicuts into 1/4's so maybe will help the drying process. I know everyone says to not use green wood to smoke but my dad used green hickory all the time and his stuff was always amazing I pick his brain all the time for tips. Have smoked with green maple too that I cut a week before cooking with it was very pleased with the results. It did give white smoke at 1st but after about 10in changed to black smoke I guess the moisture finally evaporates while it's on the coals.

The dead stuff looks good to go. Also appears you got those yellow belly sap suckers by the rows of holes in the bark.
Even live winter wood has too much moisture to use without some seasoning. August is a good start to toss on the fire.
Yes that's the plan that the smaller sticks that were little branches and the disks I cut will be ready by late summer the wood from the trunk I split into regular firewood type logs I will use them next year all the small stuff gives me more than enough to get me through the year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky