• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

French 4 spice blend question

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
A mix of white pepper, ginger, nutmeg & cloves. I've seen this blend in recipes before, but never tried it. Well after seeing I had all the ingredients to make it, I did so. While I've yet to use it, I've gotta say it smells pretty awful. So my question is, has anyone here ever used this in anything?

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
It sounds like you could season a hot dog with that mix. I would cut the cloves down to minimal..

JC :emoji_cat:

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
White pepper ginger and nutmeg go in my brats . Not a fan of clove myself .

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Same as chopsaw and others. Cut down clove or leave it out completely

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
Thanks everyone. All useful information!

thirdeye

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Shake's Injectable Honey Brine has 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves in a 1-quart batch, and I was hesitant about adding them..... but I did and liked it. It's rumored that one of the secret ingredients in Old Bay is cloves.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
The off smell you're getting could be the white pepper . I never noticed it before until Sam zwiller zwiller described it as " barn yard " and he hit the nail on the head . Reminds me of the upper pasture at deer camp . I do see formulas using clove .

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Cloves are an essential ingredient in the kofta I make. It’s a small amount though. That mix of spices could be nice in moderation on chicken , pork or lamb I think.

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
The particular sausage that stirred me to create the blend is called Saucisson Sec. I’ve still not tried it but now I’ve got the blend in my pantry!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Quatre Épice? It's just the #1 Spice blend added to French Cuisine! Sausage, Paté, soups, stews, braises, savory dishes of all kinds will, frequently, have a bit of Quatre Épice added. Just like Garam Masala screams Indian, Quatre Épice is then flavor of France. It's use goes back hundreds of years.
The smell? Think about a well aged hunk of Parm Reggiano. The smell is like Stinky Feet. But, Grate some on your food and the depth of flavor and Umami, the cheese adds, goes thru the roof.
Same here. If you eat some French Sausages, the flavor should Enhance the pork. If any of the 4 Spice are forward and dominant, you used too much.
Since it new to you, try adding HALF the amount called for and Taste. It really good stuff used judiciously...JJ

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
Quatre Épice? It's just the #1 Spice blend added to French Cuisine! Sausage, Paté, soups, stews, braises, savory dishes of all kinds will, frequently, have a bit of Quatre Épice added. Just like Garam Masala screams Indian, Quatre Épice is then flavor of France. It's use goes back hundreds of years.
The smell? Think about a well aged hunk of Parm Reggiano. The smell is like Stinky Feet. But, Grate some on your food and the depth of flavor and Umami, the cheese adds, goes thru the roof.
Same here. If you eat some French Sausages, the flavor should Enhance the pork. If any of the 4 Spice are forward and dominant, you used too much.
Since it new to you, try adding HALF the amount called for and Taste. It really good stuff used judiciously...JJ
Thanks chef! I was hoping to get your input!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.