freezing pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

13spicerub

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
NYC
weather looking bad for a party in about 10-12 days. if i cook 2 pork shoulers today, pull them, and freeze them would they still be good for the party?

any reheating suggestions?

I've done it with good results. I vacuumed sealed individual portions and froze. To reheat I dropped the bag in boiling water. You have to keep an eye on the bag though, if you leave it in too long it could burst open.

I have done it 2 ways. First way is in the crock pot and let it heat up slowly if you have the time. The next way is a pasta pot with the double boiler type with two pots and that way to me works the best and it seems to add some moisture back into the meat also. I have heard here that you can boil some water and put it into it to re-heat your pork. One thing that you should if you haven't yet in but a Food Saver unit it's worth it's weight in gold.

I do it almost eerytime I smoke. I nce cooked 12 butts, pulled and froze them all. I put mine in freezer bags and press them flat and push out the air and freeze. A vaccum sealer would be much better.

To reheat- I ahve used the microwave, Oven, Smoker, but the crock pot probably works the best. Add a little liquid and warm up slowly...

Guess you've gotten your answers, freezes perfectly.
If you have a vacuum sealer then you could drop the bags into simmering water until reheated but usually if I have a bunch to reheat I just dump the meat into a large hotel pan, cover with foil and put in the oven at 275 until hot.

Agree with the posters above.

No real downside to the freezing flavor-wise, so long as vacuum-packed.

I liked the steamed results the best, but crock pot is a great way to control the heat while it comes up to temp.

Good luck 13spicerub!

I usually just freeze them whole, double wrapped in heavy foil, then into a garbage can. Take out when ready, let thaw, and warm up in oven. Seems to hold the moisture better. I have froze it pulled and it does work just seems to be a little dryer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky