freezing pulled pork

Discussion in 'Pork' started by 13spicerub, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 13spicerub

13spicerub Meat Mopper

NYC
    weather looking bad for a party in about 10-12 days. if i cook 2 pork shoulers today, pull them, and freeze them would they still be good for the party?

any reheating suggestions?

2. mginani

mginani Newbie

I've done it with good results. I vacuumed sealed individual portions and froze. To reheat I dropped the bag in boiling water. You have to keep an eye on the bag though, if you leave it in too long it could burst open.

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have done it 2 ways. First way is in the crock pot and let it heat up slowly if you have the time. The next way is a pasta pot with the double boiler type with two pots and that way to me works the best and it seems to add some moisture back into the meat also. I have heard here that you can boil some water and put it into it to re-heat your pork. One thing that you should if you haven't yet in but a Food Saver unit it's worth it's weight in gold.

4. scpatterson

scpatterson Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I do it almost eerytime I smoke. I nce cooked 12 butts, pulled and froze them all. I put mine in freezer bags and press them flat and push out the air and freeze. A vaccum sealer would be much better.

To reheat- I ahve used the microwave, Oven, Smoker, but the crock pot probably works the best. Add a little liquid and warm up slowly...

5. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Guess you've gotten your answers, freezes perfectly.
    If you have a vacuum sealer then you could drop the bags into simmering water until reheated but usually if I have a bunch to reheat I just dump the meat into a large hotel pan, cover with foil and put in the oven at 275 until hot.

6. Agree with the posters above.

No real downside to the freezing flavor-wise, so long as vacuum-packed.

I liked the steamed results the best, but crock pot is a great way to control the heat while it comes up to temp.

Good luck 13spicerub!

7. I usually just freeze them whole, double wrapped in heavy foil, then into a garbage can. Take out when ready, let thaw, and warm up in oven. Seems to hold the moisture better. I have froze it pulled and it does work just seems to be a little dryer.

8. danbury

danbury Smoking Fanatic

Vacuum sealer is your friend... works great every time.