Freezing meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrPips

Original poster
May 5, 2018
Hi all,

You remember from a previous post of mine that I’m struggling to find proper babyback and St. Louis ribs and also the brisket I can get are the boned and rolled type rather than having proper flat and point.

I’ve found an online butchers that do the kind of thing I want, but to make it cheaper and minimise delivery costs I was wondering if I could buy more and freeze it. For example, if I got a 12lb brisket, could I portion it into 4 and freeze them? Also how well do ribs freeze?

Thanks,
Dom

As far as commercially-raised pork goes, it is always frozen right from the packer to the consumer for 30-day minimum at -30° below zero F. (-34.4° C) to help kill pathogens (including trich) anyways and refreezing is not a problem.

Not only can you freeze them, but if you vacuum packed them, they last a really long time and can be thawed in water, no leaks...love my vac pack machine. When I make ribs I make several rack cut them up in groups of six (only two of us) and vac pack in dinner portions makes for a quick easy meal later.

Not only can you freeze them, but if you vacuum packed them, they last a really long time and can be thawed in water, no leaks...love my vac pack machine. When I make ribs I make several rack cut them up in groups of six (only two of us) and vac pack in dinner portions makes for a quick easy meal later.

+1; Local rib place was well known for rocking ribs and a buddy of mine started worked there so I anxiously asked him what the secret was... He told me they were precooked and frozen. :eek: All he did was defrost, grill, and sauce them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky