Freeeeeeeezzzzzzing...time for a cold smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yrrndsmoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
In Utah visiting my family so I decided to cold smoke some cheese and nuts for the holidays.

For the cheese I used sharp extra aged cheddar, habenjero cheddar, fresh mozzarella, horseradish white cheddar, jarlesburg, and provolone.  For the nuts I used the mixed nuts from Costco and then after their smoked I am going to candy them. (pics to come)

I am smoking at an outside ambient temp is 37 deg F.  Right now inside my MES 40" I have my water pan also full of ice and the chamber temp is 44 degrees.  I am running my AMNS with apple and cherry dust burning and plan on smoking for 3 hours.  Do you think thats enough for the nuts or should I run those for longer? I'll post more pics when the cheese is done.  enjoy!  Jeff

cc5c1374_P1020084.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, something went whoo haww with the camera.

25625419_P1020089.jpg

I personally  would not cold smoke the nuts. I find that smoking nuts at 225 gives me the flavor that I like. By smoking at 225 they release some of their oil and it seems to help absorb smoke and any rub or spices you have on them. I know that some others here have cold smoked nuts and I dont know what their results were.

The cheeses you have in there will go between 3-4 hours - The hard part is putting them away for 2 weeks

I personally wouldn't call 37* FREEEEEEZING, More like a chill in the air. I smoked my venistrami last year in -25*F, now that is FREEEEEZZZZING.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't call 37* FREEEEEEZING, More like a chill in the air. I smoked my venistrami last year in -25*F, now that is FREEEEEZZZZING.
Haha, well i'm from North California where 50 degrees is freezing.  I would probably turn into an icecube at -25F

I personally  would not cold smoke the nuts. I find that smoking nuts at 225 gives me the flavor that I like. By smoking at 225 they release some of their oil and it seems to help absorb smoke and any rub or spices you have on them. I know that some others here have cold smoked nuts and I dont know what their results were.

The cheeses you have in there will go between 3-4 hours - The hard part is putting them away for 2 weeks
Thanks for the help, when i take the cheese's out i'll kick on the MES and smoke at 225 for another couple hrs till the AMNS runs out.

Its been snowing in this part of NorCal.

I'm new on this Forum and to cold smoking. I just recieved my Amaz-N-Smoker in the mail yesterday.  But had improvised on a cold smoker using a coffe can and a wood burner/ solder iron. I did get some good smoke going.  Wish I had waited the extra day. But was all so  doing two boston butts and 3 racks of ribs in my big smoker.  Any way my question is why the comment to wait two weeks after cold smoking the cheese?

icon_cool.gif

Ha Ha that's why I live in Fla today the high is 38°

I'm new on this Forum and to cold smoking. I just recieved my Amaz-N-Smoker in the mail yesterday.  But had improvised on a cold smoker using a coffe can and a wood burner/ solder iron. I did get some good smoke going.  Wish I had waited the extra day. But was all so  doing two boston butts and 3 racks of ribs in my big smoker.  Any way my question is why the comment to wait two weeks after cold smoking the cheese?
from what I have been told the "resting period" allows the smoke flavor to permiate the cheese all the way through.  I smoked some for thanksgiving and the flavor was definatly better after 3 days than it was the same day I smoked it.  it got better after sitting longer as well. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky