• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Free smoker...... Or how free is never free

levithan9

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 7, 2016
Hey everyone ;

A few weeks ago, my neighbor across the street approached me when I get home from work, and asked me if I wanted his bbq grill. Now, i'm known as that guy who smokes everything. I have a Masterbuilt 40" Electric, a Pitboss 820, and a Pitmaker Safe smoker. When I fire any of them up, I fill the couldasac with the smell of 'Someone Is Smoking.'

So he asked me if I wanted his bbq smoker, because if not he was going to throw it away. I came over and checked it out, just to make sure I wasn't getting some POS.

It was an Oklahoma Joe Highland smoker!! So I said yes, rolled in to the garage, and went out with my other neighbor for pizza.

Next day, I clean it out, and throw some wood in it to see how it works. Within 2 hours, I knew why he got rid of it. The temp on the firebox side was over 400 degrees, and the other side was around 210-225. Totally uneven cooking.

Last weekend, I decided to cook some ribs that I had in the freezer. Controlling the temp was impossible. They came out burnt and over smoked, or under cooked. For the life of me, I could not control the temperature. I had even put in a piece of sheet metal to act like a baffle. I was sitting on my chair, just looking at it after the ribs were done, and saw the flame from the wood thru the seams of the firebox. So, knew what I needed to do.

Took the firebox off, took it to work, and split open the firebox, cleaned up the surfaces, and had my friend Steve weld it together.
20191126_214022.jpg
20191126_212606.jpg

I also had him put some flat steel around the opening on the firebox.

20191126_201045.jpg

So now the firebox is airtight.

My next mod is to put a baffle plate in, and maybe relocate to chimney down to the grate level.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
A free smoker and beer payment for fixes...now THAT'S a great day!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Add some upper air inlets to the FB... The air from those inlets, moves the heat from the FB to the CC WITHOUT adding any air to the fire....

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.