"Free" meat for the hound

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Every year my neighbor feeds 2 beef from spring to fall, keeps one for himself and splits one between 2 daughters. And every year I give him a hand on killing day--everything up until we get them hanging. After they hang long enough to be butchered, he always invites me to pick over the leavings. This year I brought home 2 large bags of scraps and bones--and some strip loin and sirloin steaks.
Saturday, I put one of the bags in the freezer and took the other inside. He's pretty careful when butchering to take only the meat--adds the required amount of fat when he grinds the hamburger. So I just got out my filleting knife and took all the meat left on the hard fat and bones. It took me 3 hours, but I ended up with 10 pounds of basically fat free meat. I divided that into 6 bags and froze them. Now when I make Roxy's supplement "stew" to add to her dry dog food every day, it will be extra meaty. The bones I boiled down, removed the bones, and reduced the liquid into bone jelly which also goes into her food--healthy, healthy, healthy.
And I still have enough scraps and bones in the freezer for, hopefully, another 10 pounds.
It's a fair amount of work, but I figure that the old hound is well worth it to me.
Gary

bet Roxy doesn't dilly dally around when it's meal time! Great job Gary!

Ryan

That's a great deal. Skidmark has become very apt a picking out the good stuff from his bowl and leaving the dry food.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That's a great deal. Skidmark has become very apt a picking out the good stuff from his bowl and leaving the dry food.
Chris

When I say stew, Chris, it's actually stew. Has beef broth, meat, and veggies in it. Lots of liquid, so the dry dog food (and her meds) get well coated with juice and flavor. Nothing gets left in the bowl but the smell.
Gary

They become family members treated as children. We lost 1 in March that was 19 and still have one that's 19 a 12 and 4 year old.

Warren

Hello my friend. Hope you and Miss Linda are well. Sounds like you have a great deal going there. I'm sure you have done it but I thought I'd throw this out there. Maybe some folks wouldn't think about it. Crack those bones in a few places depending on the size of the bone. Put them in a preheated oven. 350. For say 30-45 mins. and roast them. Then when you boil them you will get all the marrow out. Just make sure not to crush the bone and get bone splinters in the food. OK. That's my 2 cents. Off my soapbox. Take care my friend and tell Miss Linda "Hello" from me.
Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky