Frank's Fine Swine & Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frank c

Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
We are from SE PA, just starting our business.  We smoke beef jerky, brisket, ribs, pork and chicken.  Business is doing well, but we are still learning.  Running 2 wood burners and 2 pellet smokers. 

We are getting orders for Thanksgiving now for Briskets and Turkey.  The turkey we will provide will be fresh, free range from a local farm.  We will be paying 2.99 per pound and thinking that $60. is a fair price for the finished product that we will be delivering.  What do you think?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum Frank!  $60 sounds like a great deal to me.  I pay $3.99/lb for a free range turkey and then brine and season and smoke.  A 12lb bird would easily cost me close to that to cook!  

Mike

The  standard in Catering is pretty much Recipe Cost X 3, bird plus cost of additional seasoning or sauces. This will cover the bird, smoke wood, fuel, spices and/or baste, injections or sauce, pans or wrapping to cover the bird for pick up, your Labor and a reasonable Profit. What if a customer wants a 20 Pound Turkey? 20Lbs X $2.99 = $59.80...You selling that bird for $60? I'll take TWO!!!
biggrin.gif
...JJ

12Lb Bird X $2.99 = $35.88 + $1.99 Rub, Etc. Your Cost $37.87 X 3 = $ 113.61 Sale Price. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky