frankincense and myrrh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Anyone ever try using frankincense and/or myrrh for smoking meats? Seems like it’d work with some types of sausage?

Historically, would this have been done anywhere in Europe?
These resins come from the horn of Africa, and were used throughout the Mediterranean (Jesus got some for his birthday, remember?) They would be burned as incense, infused into wine, water, oils. However, meat preservation in the Mediterranean involved fermentation rather than smoking.

Smoked meats come from norther Europe, where these resins would have been exceptionally rare in ancient times. By the end of the middle ages though, trade routes would have made them more accessible, but they’d still be very expensive.

Reactions: Smoke Diver
Anyone ever try using frankincense and/or myrrh for smoking meats? Seems like it’d work with some types of sausage?

Historically, would this have been done anywhere in Europe?
These resins come from the horn of Africa, and were used throughout the Mediterranean (Jesus got some for his birthday, remember?) They would be burned as incense, infused into wine, water, oils. However, meat preservation in the Mediterranean involved fermentation rather than smoking.

Smoked meats come from norther Europe, where these resins would have been exceptionally rare in ancient times. By the end of the middle ages though, trade routes would have made them more accessible, but they’d still be very expensive.
I was thinking the same. If no one tried it I can test it and let you know.

Don't know if either was used in our Catholic Church service, but some incense they burned, on occasion, walking in sure smelled Horrible!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky