Found Value, Chipped In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
Hi, gang! Thanks for having me!

I lurked for a few weeks, then registered. I got a VERY useful smoking tutorial in email.

Then I hit this thread on temperature: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whats-special-about-225°.312005/

I was sold when the guy said that there was nothing magical about 225° and that 226° was perfectly fine! :)

Normal people here!!!

I wanted to learn about food safety because I landed here after curing jerky and then a bacon... because I don't want to kill people.

I will learn how to eat good food - and not kill people in the process - at SMF.

And after reading that thread I learned that smoking meat is not as worrisome as I feared.

And then I chipped in just to write this note. And learn some more.

Yours,
Murph

If I can do it anyone can, don't worry about heat fluctuations of 20 to 30*, in the end it doesn't matter one bit.

Good luck.
Dan.

Welcome to SMF Murph. We can definitely keep it safe.

Thanks, indaswamp! I've read many posts here where folks jump in to correct bad info found elsewhere. That made me know I found the right place for me.

I've messed around a bit with smoking on my Webber Kettle. Then I tried making jerky (again) when I ran into a post somewhere that mentioned curing before baking and then dehydrating.

Wow! In the past, I just sliced and dried! I was playing Russian Roulette and didn't even know it! I didn't even know what I didn't know!!

That took me to safety and lurking... and finding value. Because I love my family and friends (and me) and so does the SMF community.

Thank you for being a part of it and giving freely. And this goes for everybody else who I haven't connected with. Those others will be welcoming me shortly, I'm sure.

Murph

If I can do it anyone can, don't worry about heat fluctuations of 20 to 30*, in the end it doesn't matter one bit.

Good luck.
Dan.

Thanks, Dan! From what I've been reading, once you know how to keep things safe, everything else is bells and whistles.

I can make dog food or gourmet fare. As long as the dog doesn't die, I'll be fine.

With help from you and others, I'll get closer to gourmet after some trial, error, and help from experienced hands like you and others.

All my best,
Murph

Welcome to SMF, Murph!
Glad to have you join in on the fun!
Plenty of very knowledgeable folks on here to help you stay safe!
Al

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us! It's supposed to be fun and enjoyable smoking, no need to stress...and like you mentioned, your dog has your back!

Ryan

Welcome from Tennessee. You'll definitely find accurate and safe info around here from real people with real experience.

Hi, gang! Thanks for having me!

I lurked for a few weeks, then registered. I got a VERY useful smoking tutorial in email.

Then I hit this thread on temperature: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whats-special-about-225°.312005/

I was sold when the guy said that there was nothing magical about 225° and that 226° was perfectly fine! :)

Normal people here!!!

Yours,
Murph

LOL---That answer came from that Smart Alec Bear !! You'll get used to him!

And Welcome to SMF. Glad your landing gear was working properly!!

Bear

Reactions: 912smoker
Welcome to SMF from SE Ga.
Lots of great folks and info here and all eager to help AND keep you safe !

Keith

Welcome from Winchester VA.

1642520481268.png

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
Welcome from KC, Murph. Great people here and I think you will fit right in.

I'm impressed by how members come from all over and by how long they've been contributing, as seen from the volume of postings. That, and the lack of name-calling points to quality.

I read a post about sodium tripolyphosphate and another about anise and immediately retreated to Pop's cure to get started. :)

Boy, I'm glad some angel somewhere in Internet Land piped up about curing jerky for safety. And then cooking it before drying. I never thought about that.

There's some real good info out in the wild but an active place with serious folks who are willing to help answer well-meaning questions is where the value is.

Thank you again.

Murph

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome aboard from SE Arizona. Yep, you're in the right spot.
As you've found out, cure#1 is not required for jerky unless you want a more shelf stable product or are shooting for that classic beef jerky flavor.
As long as you hit 165° - 170° on the meat, the cooties get destroyed.

Welcome from Mississippi. The member numbers here are high 'cause we keep folks from killing each other with bad cooks. Look forward to your post and pics (we are visually oriented here.)
Jim

Reactions: 912smoker
Welcome from Virginia! Be careful, you come here to learn one thing and before you know it you have all kinds of new hobbies and "things" on your patio! Not to mention a huge list of recipes and things to try! It's a great problem to have!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky