Found asparagus yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crewcab4x4

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Edison , OH
Stopped at one of my asparagus spots yesterday and found four nice pieces. Just thought I would let everyone know in case there is anybody out there that looks for asparagus. Going to hopefully go ge some more today at some of my other spots if someone else hasn't beat me to it.

Jason

The only place I have ever looked for asparagus is in the produce section of my local grocery store, but I would like to hear more about how you are doing it up there.

often I find it here for 99 a# I buy alot-blanch it and food saver it-always there to have when we want it-didn't think it grew wild.

If could get asparagus for .99 a # I probably wouldn't even bother looking for it. It was 3.88 a # yesterday at walmart. I went to another spot where I find asparagus today and found this. Nice little batch for supper tonight. I find new spots by looking for it later on when it goes to seed it's easier to spot then , you just have to remember the general spot where it was next year and start looking for it.

2443619206_649898024d.jpg

Hey S. Joe - do you have any local farmers' markets in or around town? Those are always a sure bet to find fresh produce, especially asparagus. Mine usually has it throughout the year and it's pretty good quality.

Just my $0.02.
biggrin.gif

Mine in the garden should be ready for the first cutting Sun. along with a couple wild ones growing out in the field.
I always wanted to make a map in the fall where you see the wild ones go to fern along the ditch banks. I always miss that strange smell in the urine in the winter HAHA

That would be a good idea to make a map or a log to remeber where it's at. That's when I try to find new patches when it goes to seed. I cooked up what I found today put garlic powder,butter ,and the asparagus in a foil pouch and threw it in the smoker. No smoke flavor but I was able to cook the whole meal on it.

Jason

Hey CrewCab, Here in Erie, Pa. I look for wild Leeks in the woods usually along river/creek bank area's, but never heard of looking for Asparagus.
Not to sound like a dweeb... but where abouts would you begin to look??? Thanks, Tom

I usually find it in the ditches along the road. The best time to figure out where it's at is in the summer when it goes to seed. It looks like a fern I look for bigger clumps of it. It makes it easier to find in the spring. Instead of looking for a spot where you saw one stem of it.

Jason

Here's a thought for the "tech-saavy" ones.....saw on another forum where someone used a GPS to "mark" where clumps of asparagus were found in the summer/fall so that in the spring they could drive back to those places and pick it fresh!!

L8r,
Eric

I learn something new every day on this site.........I didn't know asparagus grow wild...........Not sure if it does in my area..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky