For those looking at Buying that next BIGGER Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Yo BBQ Bros,

I live in Wisconsin so understand your winter challenges when it comes to smoking temps. Especially on lighter built units. I see so many questions about this from people looking at buying that "next" smoker after finding they want more space, control over the cooking process, and just that next level toy to make so many happy!

If this description fits you, then read on. If not, lets not thumb wrestle over my comments if they offend or do not match your BBQ experience. I am talking to those looking at POSSIBLY buying a bigger,m heavier, smoker. OK? go easy.....

Quality build is the first point. If you are spending $$$ ask yourself will it last? Outside?  Sun, Rain,Heat and elements take a toll. Why do they not build wood stoves out of sheet metal? Cuz it dont last. Do you want your smoke leaking out of the seams or in to your briskets and ribs? 3/16 to 1/4" steel will last where the sheet metal stuff will not. The seams are not full welded usually. You will fail at controlling temps unless you learn to seal it up and wrap it in something to insulate it when the wind blows or it is freezing outside. Try it and get back to me after a windy day.

Do your homework. I walked that mile and have owned em all. Will answer any questions if you think it would help. There are right cookers for the right job. You can kill it with a pile of cement blocks and some metal roofing if you know what you are doing. But having a solid smoker, pit, or cooker to match your needs and better yet, "style", is a nice thang let me tell you. I have a 120 size reverse flow pit with 3 sliding shelves. I can put a charcoal pan in the tank and grill in large quantity if I like. I like room to roam and share some pit time with neighbors and family. If I just need to do 4 steaks as fast as anywhere, I start 1 chimney of lump and dump it in the pan under one of my big racks. Fast smokey steaks without any big hassle due to using my pit. But I can do 30 slabs for a party too. Not, that I want to any time soon again......

Now, not everyone can go that extra $tep nor need to. But I see many people coming here to look and ask about this reverse flow this or that model that.  Understand the basic concepts of what makes these things worth paying to own and how they work. Match it to what you want to do and look at your wife next. If she has an extraordinary amount of red in her look, you are looking at the wrong model.

Stop falling for those telling you to buy this brand over another. Do your own homework. Then you will buy with confidence and enjoy making the right decision. That is when this hobby really starts returning on the investment. More sharing of the BBQ lovin.

Still learnin always yackin.....

Last edited:
Unclejim , I did just that several years ago...Growing up in Texas lends to give one a powerful taste for Smoked (anything). I stood and watched my"Barber" Dad burn beautiful Stakes on his grill , and "No" ,he was not a smoker , just go to the Neighborhood BBQ Shack.

Learning how not to 'burn-up' the meat , Mom drafted me to the job of 'Griller' when I was in Boy Scouts... then I began to watch a friend of Dad's - Homer Paige - at his BBQ Shack and picked up on the Low and Slow way of what I brought with me when I followed the Wife up to oihO.

Starting with a Smoker a friend and I built in shop class , a 60" X24" X1/4" Well Pipe barrel that would hold heat in a Blizzard. That "Baby" is long gone now , and the Wife felt sorry for me and went to K-mart (25yr. ago) and got my NB RedRiver offset Smoker :

200x200px-ZC-9e46c2e7_TwoChickensonLilGirl006.jpeg
 I Reverse floed it and it is 'Marvelous' ...

I soon realized how much good BBQ would go over here in N.W.Ohio after going to New Regal , Ohio , to get "the best ribs in the country" ; they sucked to say the least.

The next week I did some Ribs for Him and now He goes nowhere else to get his BBQ but ME. Sooo... the Family (there's a lot of them , too) , started liking my Cueing and I would try doing bigger parties when I realized I need a bigger unit. Now, being here in a place I have no welder(and not wanting to rent or buy), opted to go with a Shop made one from Home (Tx.). It cost a bit less than the Klose and Gator's and such , but all the Smoker a Gator or Klose is :

I added Mods. and have cooked for 300 people at the Son's Wedding and the Frostyballs @ the IC/MC , this year. The shipping Killed me , getting it here , now I'm poor but happy to have a choice Rig ; as fars backyard units go.
biggrin.gif

As you see, I still use "Baby Girl" along with "Flo" , from time to time . I tried to put up with a "NEW" (as of 5 yrs. ago) Brinkman and use it once , saw the Mods. needed and put it in the Garage-way in the back.

I finally pulled it out and sold it for what I gave for it $180 , I repainted it and am presently coaching him in his new found Hobby.

Remember, if you are "into" Smoking enough to get a larget size-think about getting one"more" size bigger than you choose , I can cold smoke in the cabinet side (with the ANMPS) and do heats as high as I need . I chose a Stickburner because I enjoy the ' Hands On ' and "Babysitting" I do with my Smoking. When I start the Smoke rolling, I get 'friends' stopping by and relaxing with me (BYOB is fine), and enjoy the Social aspect of this Hobby.

Well, there's my $.02 worth , so it's what you want and how you will use it that brings the decision. Here's hoping you go BIG and become popular in your little part of the world.

As always, have fun and...

Solid advice.

UncleJim your 120 pit you mentioned is it a Meadow Creek smoker?

Solid advice guys - homework is key to finding the right tools for you

This is the Klahr model 19 super smoker, same length chamber as the 120 Meadow Creek, but double the capacity. Four shelf, pizza oven style door, etc.  He only builds a couple units a year, but they are the best there is.
900x900px-LL-2a61da55_smoker4.jpg

Wow what a beast! That baby must weigh in a 2 tons! Looks like the same length, 2 times the space. How many racks can you pack in there?

Wizzard, I tried to google Klahr for more information on this guy but found nothing. Do you have a website address for these?

I was making a funny, I built it. Sorry.

I have 4 racks 3 at 47" x 23" and the top one is 22" x 47"   six " space between bottom 3 racks and 8" space between top and 2nd one down.

It does cook just about perfect,  and I am proud of it.

Thanks

Hey Wizzard, what are those door latches called and where can I find some?  I have seen them on several units and I know Meadow Creek uses them.  I have searched for them and have yet to find them.  Can you help a guy out?

Jabbo, be careful when you order them, the first two I ordered were too small. I'll get you part numbers for the ones I ended up using if you think they are the right size for what you need.Let me know.

I've came to the point where I need a larger cooker and have gone between The Lang 84 and Meadow Creek TS250 over and over. Both are good quality built cookers. I have decided to go with the Lang 84 due to its a much better price than the Meadow Creek.

Ribwizzard, go ahead and send me the ones you are talking about.  The link Garyt sent me has a ton of them listed.  I was hoping to stay as small as possible, but have come to trust your judgement.  Thanks.

For the cooking chamber, I used destaco 307-uss , Thats the stainless steel version, The 307-u is non stainless. Looking at about $32.00 for stainless and $20.00 for non stainless.

For the firebox, I used destaco 331-ss, and it was $31.00, The non stainless version was about $18.00

Not sure if I should post on here where I bought them, but google it and you will find them.

Just a side note, temp guages, spring handles, and these clamps were the most expensive part of the build, everything else was cheap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky