For the WSM Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colin1230

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2021
Merriam, KS
I've wanted to try my hand at an instructional cook for the new WSM owners so today seemed like as good a time as any. I'll be using the 18" WSM that I got as a father's day gift about ten years ago.

The meat:

I was looking for a nice pork butt but chose this cut labeled Loin End Pork Roast. Not knowing, after opening the package, it's a bone in pork butt, perfect! I'm learning too.

IMG_20210313_095618.jpg

Prep was very simple. I used a store bought rub. It's the rub made famous at Joe's KC, a family favorite. When my goal is pulled pork or ribs I complete the prep work before getting the cooker set up. This allows the meat to warm a little while I'm busy lighting coals and getting the cooker ready.

IMG_20210313_104738.jpg

The set up:

I didn't measure the amount of Kingsford Blue Bag I poorer into the ring but approx two chimneys full, with three small chunks of apple wood. I hollow out a spot in the center for fifteen or twenty lit coals. Mention method. On a warmer day I would not start with that many but due to the weather being 46*F and rainy, I made a wild ass guess.
IMG_20210313_102008.jpg

On low and slow cooks I like to use the water pan. It just makes temperature control easier, and that is what this is about, easy. I foil the bottom of the water pan for easier clean up.

IMG_20210313_102434.jpg

Also, I set a drip pan on the lower great to catch grease dripping. It makes cleaning that water pan easier.

IMG_20210313_102659.jpg

With the lit coals added and the water pan filled (not to the top) I let the cooker come up to temp, 225-250 target. White smoke may really roll for a while. Be patient and let it subside while the cooker warms up. I start with bottom vents 1/4 open. The top vent full open the entire cook. When the lid thermometer is at 200, I install my temp probes, one for meat internal temp and one for grate/pit temp.
I highly recommend a two channel thermometer. It doesn't matter what brand just test it with ice water and boiling water and if it is good, live by it! It being rainy, I set my temp transmitter inside of the coffee can to protect it.

IMG_20210313_110657.jpg

The cook:

I plan to leave this butt on to an internal temperature of 200-205*F. That seems be be a reliable probe tender temperature and has always produced good results for me. Afterwards, it will rest for approx one hour, then pulled.

It is always very uneventful the first few hours, leave the lid on, and have a beer instead of peeking.

Timer and temp set.

IMG_20210313_112539.jpg

At one hour temp is steady.
IMG_20210313_121327.jpg

At the three hour mark I like to start spritzing with cheap 100% apple juice once every hour thereafter. Not that it adds anything but it makes me feel like I'm cooking.

IMG_20210313_141053.jpg

At the four hour mark, I like to gently stir the coals through the side door, with the lid on to minimize ash getting to the food. Then after a few minutes, lift the lid and spritz again with apple juice.
Temp sagged to 224 so I opened the bottom vents to 100% hoping to raise the temp to the 250-275 range help get though the stall (when the internal meat temp seems to stop rising). I ended up at 260'ish pit temp, we'll let it ride.
Note: If the pit temperature doesn't raise, I would then think about finishing the cook in the oven or on the gas grill at 325*F. No shame in that. We've all done it. Double wrap in foil and pull at 200*F internal temp checked with a instant read thermometer.
That was the case with this cook. At the 7.5 hour mark, internal meat temp was only 175*F and it was getting dark so I fired up the gasser. At the 8 hour and 40 minute mark, it reached 200*F internal and I took it off the grill to rest.

The finished product:

IMG_20210313_202301.jpg

Closing tips:

Keep a Cook Log. I don't like repeating my mistakes.

Get good thermometers and use them.

Be prepared to improvise, have plan B. Finish in the oven if necessary.

Plan to have a day with your new cooker, uninterrupted by all of today's drama, and just enjoy your self.

I truly hope this helps someone just getting started in this great backyard hobby.

Regards,
Colin.........with a long O.

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_200912.jpg
    IMG_20210313_200912.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5
Looks good. An FYI though, a loin end pork roast is on the opposite end of the pig from a Boston Butt. It is near the real butt of a pig, whereas the Boston Butt is the shoulder. Loin end pork roast tend to have very little marbling, or internal fat, but usually have a decent fat cap.

Reactions: Colin1230
Looks real good to me. One hint if your not already doing it. Heat the water up before adding it to the water pan. There's allot of wasted briquette energy heating up cold water.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Great from here!!!
Nice Job!!
Like.
BTW: Heating water or basting liquid works Great, like Chris said. (above)

Bear

Looks good. An FYI though, a loin end pork roast is on the opposite end of the pig from a Boston Butt. It is near the real butt of a pig, whereas the Boston Butt is the shoulder. Loin end pork roast tend to have very little marbling, or internal fat, but usually have a decent fat cap.
Thank you Smoke, I appreciate the info.

Looks real good to me. One hint if your not already doing it. Heat the water up before adding it to the water pan. There's allot of wasted briquette energy heating up cold water.

Point for sure
Chris
Yes, hot water, as hot as will come out of the tap. I have a one gallon jug just for that. Thanks for catching that Chris.

Many thanks for all of the compliments guys. It means a lot! Hopefully my editing and photography will get better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky