Food saver mason jar attachement worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I make refrigerator garlic dills. Modified Smokin Al's recipe. Great dills in 3-4 days. Family really loves them. Bread and butter pickles, eggs and so on. You may consider making a brine trap to keep it out of your vaccum pump.

RG

Reactions: Winterrider
I make refrigerator garlic dills. Modified Smokin Al's recipe. Great dills in 3-4 days. Family really loves them. Bread and butter pickles, eggs and so on. You may consider making a brine trap to keep it out of your vaccum pump.

RG

interesting idea, I just thought that the half inch on the top of the jar would be enough to stop liquid from getting into the machine? I wonder if the below would work from the automotive paint arena? I think Steve H Steve H mentioned this in your thread?
1612996346350.png

Where do most of you get your jars from Amazon? Does brand make a difference?

I've always used the Ball brand. I got them from Walmart and Wegmans. Though, now a days they are hard to find. So, I can't say whether it makes a difference or not. I've seen them on Ebay and Amazon. But at scalper prices.

RG

Just saw this, missed it the1st time around. Very good idea. Got a new vacmaster on order and would hate to take out a pump. Probably stick to smaller unit when doing pickles just in case.

I've always used the Ball brand. I got them from Walmart and Wegmans. Though, now a days they are hard to find. So, I can't say whether it makes a difference or not. I've seen them on Ebay and Amazon. But at scalper prices.
yeah found a guy on ebay that accepted my offer of $40 shipped for 12 new Ball 32 oz jars/lids, best deal I found.

yeah found a guy on ebay that accepted my offer of $40 shipped for 12 new Ball 32 oz jars/lids, best deal I found.
We got all your 32 oz'ers out here. Was looking for some pint jars the other day and all they have on the shelves in 3 stores are quart and half pint. 9.99 for a dozen quart. Store clerk when asked said that was 3 times that she'd been asked for pint jars that day, whats up with that? Maybe that means you need to get some pint jars, ya think? Maybe I need to start flipping canning jars.

called covid pricing I guess, at least they can be reused and I doubt I will ever need more than 12 of these sizes. 16oz...maybe?? anything local is wiped if they even carried them in the first place.

I got the jar attachment, quick question do you seal the jars when the liquid is hot or wait to cool down?

The jar sealers excel at keeping bulk seasonings, spices and dried foods and herbs fresh. We do a good bit of backpacking and canoe trips and we both dehydrate at home and buy bulk freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Once the original packaging is opened we transfer the food to jars and vacuum seal them. They also keep things like Nido powdered whole milk fresh for a long time, too.

Our experience is that if you push the sealing adapter straight down onto the jar you are less likely to disturb the lid's placement and if you remove it with a slight twisting motion you are less likely to pull the lid off than if you pull straight up.

Unless you overfill the jar or jostle it while sealing it you won't have any chance to pick up any liquid in the sealer.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Vacuum when it is hot.
Do like Steve says , and also listen for the lid to pop / snap . Mine will pull the vacuum then the machine stops . I wait until I hear the lid snap before I take the sealer off .

I used to do that with my old food saver as well. The Lem I have draws such a good vacuum I don't worry about it anymore. Only time the lid came up with the attachment was because there was chip on the edge of the glass. And the vacuum slowly escaped when I took the attachment off. After the jars have cooled. Check that the lid is still depressed from the vacuum before putting in fridge.

well I sealed them warm...live and learn. I am using Inkbirds new machine and it stops when fully evacuated. I had no issues sucking up any liquid and I filled up until about 1/8" from the top.

So for this first time I did spears and waffle cut Kirby cucumbers, added fresh Dill, Cilantro, garlic, pickle crisp and one of the jars a few onion slices and a couple habanero peppers. Will see what it is like in a week.
pickles.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky