Food For Thought...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fried Abalone steaks breaded in cracker meal, a killer tatar sauce, Mom's veal ravioli crusty sourdough bread with Kerrygold butter, a breaded artichoke and a nice green garden salad.
CA doesn't allow us to Ab dive anymore, and I'm sure as hell not going to eat the little 2-4'' Ab's that they farm raise in God knows what country. So it would have to be fresh caught Dungeness crab, fried and raw Goeduck and Horse neck clams with garlic butter over pasta. I'm a "fresh caught" seafood junkie!!!

View attachment 505879
😲😱🤣😂😂🤪

The Geoduck Song. Well known to native PNW'ers.

Hey Jimmy
If you are referring to WT Grants, I worked the stockroom there when I was in my teens.

Yes..They were great stores. Cheap, AMERICAN MADE, products before K-Mart, Walmart and the Chinese Imports...JJ

forktender forktender I've never had the opportunity to try Goeduck but that is my kind of eating. When I lived farther East, Live Dungeness Crab was a Mid-April feast. I would get 3 big one for My MIL's Birthday. Considering, at the time, it was just her and I eating the Crabs, 3 was a Nice Meal!...JJ

Reactions: forktender
Yes..They were great stores. Cheap, AMERICAN MADE, products before K-Mart, Walmart and the Chinese Imports...JJ

forktender forktender I've never had the opportunity to try Goeduck but that is my kind of eating. When I lived farther East, Live Dungeness Crab was a Mid-April feast. I would get 3 big one for My MIL's Birthday. Considering, at the time, it was just her and I eating the Crabs, 3 was a Nice Meal!...JJ

Sorry about the thread hijack!!!

I wish you lived closer, we get a few crab per year. 😜

The first picture is the 4'deep x4' wide x4'long Live fish/crab hold on our boat and the second is 120 qt cooler we use to transport them from the boat to home. All the crab are what we call purple jumbo's which is anything that measures 8'' or more across the back between the 2 horns on their shell. A keeper size crab in Cali is 5 3/4'' across the back, and you can only keep 10 males per day and can only have 10 in possession at any time.
2021-07-30 05.28.46.jpg

2021-07-30 05.30.31.jpg
2021-07-30 05.27.54.jpg
2021-07-30 05.32.44.jpg
2021-07-30 05.31.34.jpg

We drop 30 to 60 pots in 170' of water and let them soak overnight. We normally make 3-5 trips a year, heck I gift more than we can eat and we eat a LOT of crab during the season. I won't eat frozen crab because I'm spoiled with the fresh stuff. By the end of crab season I don't want to see those stinky things for another year... not really though.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

Dan

PS Those clams are amazing fried in chowder and raw diced ceviche style.

The picture with the blue cutting board is a homemade guillotine, we cut them in half while they are alive then the guts and gills shake right out and the cleaned halves steam up so much nicer than steaming them whole, and it's super fast.

Attachments

• 2021-07-30 05.28.46.jpg
    2021-07-30 05.28.46.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The Geoduck Song. Well known to native PNW'ers.

Hahahaha, That song made me want to shoot myself!!!
We get ours out of Tamales bay on minus tides, but man are they a lot of work. I've dug on one clam for hours and 5' deep. My body can't handle shoveling wet sand anymore, but I have friends that still go damn near every minus tide during the summer months.👍👍👍

This one is easy - although there are 3 meals that I miss dearly.

1st. My moms lasanga. She gave me the recipe, but I still can't replicate it.
2nd. My grandma's baked beans.
3rd. My grandma's pea soup.

Both my mother and grandma would give me care-package that consisted of one of the above and a package of toilet paper, napkins or paper towels whenever I visited. I guess they knew an 18 year old wouldn't think to buy these items. Man I miss them both

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky