Following Aaron Franklins video for first ever brisket. How much water should i put in the bowl?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brad611

Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

Im going to be smoking my first brisket soon on my Memphis elite pellet grill, and am planning on following Aaron franklins video. He suggests putting a bowl of water next to the brisket, in order to help prevent the bark from burning. I think this seems like an easier option than spritzing for my first time.

The one thing im wondering, is how much water should i put in this bowl? Is it possible to use too much, and steam the food? I just want to make sure i use enough water to last the whole 250° cook, but not too much.

Thanks

I prefer using a mop sauce for brisket. Whether a bowl of water is necessary or not is a matter of opinion and type of smoking rig you are using.

I prefer using a mop sauce for brisket. Whether a bowl of water is necessary or not is a matter of opinion and type of smoking rig you are using.
Yea ive noticed that a lot of people prefer spritzing and/or mopping. In his video he mentions both of those options as well, this just seems like an easier place to start than opening up frequently to spritz/mop.

Do you guys think a bowl filled with about 8 cups of water would be good? I want to make sure i have enough water to last the cook, but not too much to steam the food or something.

What will be the trimmed weight ready to smoke, be?
On the package it says 13.5 lbs, and i think its already trimmed a bit. I've never trimmed a brisket before, but im guessing it should be around 13 pounds once its ready. Its also a wagyu brisket, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Reactions: JC in GB
I admire your will to do your brisket and that being wagyu. Suggest trimming the fat cap so it’s 1/4” thick.

I admire your will to do your brisket and that being wagyu. Suggest trimming the fat cap so it’s 1/4” thick.
Oh yea im so excited to cook this thing lol. It looks delicious. 1/4" seems like the way to go, i appreciate the advice.

Do you think its possible to use too much water and possibly prevent the bark from forming? Or should i just fill up a bowl and call it a day?

So, before I started actually trying to cook BBQ, I lived in Galveston for 16 months. I went to a lot of south-Texas bbq joints and when I asked them what they used to cook, they said: Salt, Pepper, Mesquite, and Love....
I sorta took away from this that it wasn’t all about preparation, but maybe about process...

Oh yea im so excited to cook this thing lol. It looks delicious. 1/4" seems like the way to go, i appreciate the advice.

Do you think its possible to use too much water and possibly prevent the bark from forming? Or should i just fill up a bowl and call it a day?
Aaron smokes with stick burners which is probably why he uses a water bowl. I don't use a water tray in my MAK pellet smoker regardless what I'm smoking because it just isn't needed as plenty of moisture is retained. No experience with the Memphis but I would bet it's similar. Make sure your reporting probe is in the middle of the thickest part of the flat so you get a good IT readout. The less done the better, no real need for spritzing and keeping the lid shut to maintain temps is always a good move.

Last edited:
Aaron smokes with stick burners which is probably why he uses a water bowl. I don't use a water tray in my MAK pellet smoker regardless what I'm smoking because it just isn't needed as plenty of moisture is retained. No experience with the Memphis but I would bet it's similar. Make sure your reporting probe is in the middle of the thickest part of the flat so you get a good IT readout. The less done the better, no real need for spritzing and keeping the lid shut to maintain temps is always a good move.
I think i might just try it with no water tray or anything for my first cook then, and start experimenting with trays/spritzing and stuff in future cooks. Do you wrap the brisket or anything, or do try to not touch it at all until its completely finished?

When you cook briskets with the pellet grill, do you cook fat side up or down? Im using the Memphis elite grill, and i think most of the heat comes from the bottom, so im thinking fat side down sounds like a good idea?

Fat side up or down has been debated for years. Both work. I usually put it down. Same with wrapping. I’ve done both. If I wrap it’s with pink butcher and right after the stall hits usually around 170°.

Like most things BBQ, there are reasons behind every technique and which is the best is a three hour argument on nearly everything. Water, no water, wrapped, naked, paper, foil etc.. My best advice to anyone doing any kind of cooking is this. Go with what works for you, what gives you the result you are looking for. Some folks like really sweet ribs, some don't. Who is right or wrong?

I find that wrapping meat helps with cooking time, tenderness, and moisture retention. All great things for competition cooks. Sometimes I find that I want ribs done that are dry and half the meat has turned to bark. You could never win anything with that but damn it tastes good.

Same for some cooks on this forum and their approach to pork shoulder. Some don't season at all until after the cook. I have never tried it but don't dismiss it as it is something to try in the future. Are they right or are cooks who brine and rub their butts are better cooks? Most likely not.

You will also find that most posters will not try to prove or disprove any of your methods unless you try suggesting something that is not safe.

Anyway, sorry that this response got so long and mother hen like. I will conclude by saying that most posters here will try to help you get the best cook possible for your situation. They are all right and you need to decide which taste is going to be what you are proud to serve to your guests.

Reactions: toysejr
I have a pellet smoker and started off with a water pan and quickly ditched it. Complete waste of time, on a pellet smoker at least.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky