Foil pans for step 2 of 3-2-1 rib method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lowcountrygamecock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Does anybody use foil pans for the second step of the 3-2-1 process instead of wrapping them in foil?  I normally prep ribs in the big pans from sams and wondered if i could use one of those and wrap the top good and tight with foil for the second stage of cooking.  Anybody have any success doing that?  If that works can you put multiple racks in one pan?  It definitely would make it easier than wrapping racks individually.

Thanks

I've never done this, but I don't see why you couldn't do that, unless you wanted to lay each rack meat side down in brown sugar, butter, etc... then you would have to wrap them individually, otherwise just put them all in a large aluminum pan and add some apple juice or whatever liquid of your choice and wrap tightly with foil.

Does anybody use foil pans for the second step of the 3-2-1 process instead of wrapping them in foil?  I normally prep ribs in the big pans from sams and wondered if i could use one of those and wrap the top good and tight with foil for the second stage of cooking.  Anybody have any success doing that?  If that works can you put multiple racks in one pan?  It definitely would make it easier than wrapping racks individually.

Thanks
I always do that, because the bones tend to poke through the foil, and my foiling juice runs out all over everything.

I usually only do two racks at once---Cut in half, and I stack all 4 pieces in the pan, juice it, and cover it.

Bear

I use the large pans instead of foil when I hit step 2 and add apple juice to the pan.  The ribs come out just as good as using foil but Like Glocksrock said about using the butter and brown sugar it would not work for that purpose.  

Good to know.  I'll try that next time.  Foiling make such a mess if the bones poke through like you guys said.  I don't see why you couldnt put some butter and brown sugar right on top of each rack.  Won't be exactly the same but it should be close enough.  Next time i'll try a pan like normal and a pan with brown sugar and butter and see which tastes better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky