foil packet for wood chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have seen alot of post saying to put the foil packet right onto the flame. But when I do that, the foil rips open, like it maybe melted, and wood chips are burned up
icon_sad.gif
.... I have made another foil pack, and then put it on the smoker box and it was just fine. (It actually smoked better and longer than just putting the chips in the smoker box.) But what is wrong with my foil? I used reynolds wrap but I dont think it was heavy duty foil, could this have been the problem?

And if someone can tell me if I can load a movie I bought onto my iPod that would be cool also
cool.gif

Lisa

:)

Regular foil becomes brittle if it gets too hot. Reynolds has the "extra" heavy duty stuff now. Why not just use your smoke box? Nothing beats cast iron.

Yep, if putting it on the smoker box is getting you good results why try to change it. As far as the ipod is concerned I don't even own one yet or know how to use one.
icon_redface.gif

They are extremely easy to use....go to iTunes, download any music from CDs you already own, or dowload some new music from iTunes, and send it to your iPod (this part is easy also), I am DL'ing some Pink Floyd this evening. Then you can arrange your music in catorgories, ny artist, album name, whatever you want. And then turn it on and listen, mine also plays movies.

Lisa

OK, now back to out regularly schudeled show....smokin!

Thanks Lisa, I figure one of these days I'm gonna have to break down and try to catch up with the 21st century technology.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Ever throw an empty beer can into a good camp fire? They burn up. Much heavier than aluminum foil. Putting it on, or in, a smoke box sounds like the deal. Go with what works.

What the heck is an Ipod? My Pink Floyd comes from a flat round black thing with spiral grooves on it.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Lisa, if they ever do a reunion, I'm going, I don't care where it is on the globe. I watch the last reunion videos on youtube every day, man they've aged.
On my gasser, I rolled up chips in HD foil lke a burrito and cut little holes in it, slits. Worked fine, fished them out of the lava rocks when I was done. Sometimes there's be 5 of them i there. I have a layer of rocks between the fire and the food.

Lisa, I agree about using your cact iron box if it already works for you. If you make a packet, it almost has to be heavy duty foil unless you double wrap it. But if your using coals anyway, you could just soak the chips for an hour and toss them right on. Personally, thats the way I do it.

i wrap my chips in heavy duty foil, it doesnt melt that way

as for your movie onto your ipod, you have to convert it to MP4 first, them you can load it up, when you convert it, it shrinks it down so that it doesnt take up so much space, on average a DVD is 4 gigs not converted

Lisa -

If something works for you why change it? If you want to try the foil pouches use heavy duty foil.

I have a Creative Zen 20 GB I really love. I use the radio alot at work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky