FNG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
New guy here. registered a while back and have been doing some reading. Finally getting around to making a post.

So.... I live in southeast Virginia otherwise known as the Hampton Roads or Tidewater area. I own a Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX 24 pellet pooper, a 22 inch weber kettle (just bought a slo and sear for it) and a gasser I keep to use the side burner for deep frying and occasionally put a cast iron griddle in it to make the odd patty melt etc etc. I use the smoker as often as I can and this weekend is no exception
I've been reading a lot here and buckboard bacon is something I had never heard of. I've been making my own bacon for a few years now with the local Costco as the source of the bellies. It always turns out great but the prices are getting a bit high. Harris Teeter just put butts out for $.99/lb so I bought 4. One or two will be breakfast sausage, but I'm going to bone one today and set it in the brine/cure to try my hand at buckboard. That and I'm doing moink balls and stuffed jalapenos for chow later, pics to follow.

Tri Tip has always been elusive around here but a few weeks ago I stumbled across one. Smoked it til rare and seared it off on the Weber... I can't believe I've been missing that my whole life. I'm hooked so I bought another yesterday that's going on the smoker tomorrow after what ever Sunday Funday activities I get into.

20210828_121153resize.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome sir to the forums from Mississippi! Good looking tri-tip. Look forward to more post and pics from you.

Jim

Welcome from Indiana!
Sounds like you have a lot of good stuff going on. Tri Tips are unheard of around here and if you want one you have to order it from a meat shop and pay the price.
Looking forward to your cooks :-)

Welcome from Iowa! I just recently found and smoked my first tri tip also, so I know what you mean! Look forward to more. Good luck on your first buckboard bacon... you'll love it!

Ryan

Welcome aboard.

That's thing about Tri Tip.
Once you have one, you might not go back to steak.
But since TT is getting pretty pricey in my neck of the woods too, I've been doing a lot of smoked then reverse seared Top Rounds aka London Broil.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Welcome from one of the opposite corners of VA, Winchester.
That tri tip looks fabulous, can't wait to see the cooked pics!

I live in VB

check out central meats and fresh markey for TT's...

I grill them on the 22 kettle and not over 128F internal temp...
Central it is. I live right around the corner. I've had a love hate relationship with that place for years and years but seems to be more love lately.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky