Flavoring Pops Brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Planning another 20 lbs batch of buckboard and 20 lbs of belly. I am going to start curing Saturday. I am planning to use Pops brine like I always do. I want to do the buckboard spicy like a chipotle bacon. Have any of you added flavor like that to the brine? If so did it penetrate? It looks like many folks even when dry curing actually just rub the additional spices on the exterior of the meat prior to smoking. Is that the best approach?

Reactions: JC in GB
I have only added other spice flavorings after the cure was done. Like pepper bacon or paprika bacon. I put the spices on right before smoking.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: jcam222
i've tried adding my maple syrup to pop's brine, it seemed it really didn't get all the way into the meat basically stayed on the surface maybe penetrated a little bit. give it a shot though I don't think it will hurt anything

Most spices do not migrate very far into the meat - they mostly stay near the surface - so you are better off just dusting them on after brining. You would need to use a much larger amount in the brine to get the same effect.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
I have not with bacon , but have added lemon extract when I do whole chickens . Definitely penetrates the meat . I think because it's the same viscosity as the water , and not a whole spice .
Keep in mind that the salt and sugar dissolves into the liquid . Anything that doesn't stays on the surface .
I bet you use the liquid from a can of chipotle peppers , your going to have some spicy bacon .

I gave up adding flavors to brine. Just does not seem to do much. Better off injecting or dusting before cooking.
Injecting after is a great idea
I have not with bacon , but have added lemon extract when I do whole chickens . Definitely penetrates the meat . I think because it's the same viscosity as the water , and not a whole spice .
Keep in mind that the salt and sugar dissolves into the liquid . Anything that doesn't stays on the surface .
I bet you use the liquid from a can of chipotle peppers , your going to have some spicy bacon .
That makes sense. I have some chipotle paste I ordered for turkey breasts. I’ll try that and some habanero extract. I’ll dust with chipotle powdercc

When I do the lemon extract it don't take much . That's poultry though . Gallon of Pop's I think it was a tsp . Let us know what you do .

Edit
Just wanted to update this to say the amount of lemon extract for a gallon of brine was 1/2 tsp .

Last edited:
When I do the lemon extract it don't take much . That's poultry though . Gallon of Pop's I think it was a tsp . Let us know what you do .
Will do, I’ll document it all and post it up once it’s done and tasted.

Reactions: chopsaw
I got BBB going a few days now in pops brine and was thinking about trying some maple extract in it.
Anybody tried it and what was the end result?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky