Flat Top Spicy Ravioli W / Italian Sausage (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
On a whim I decided to post the stir fry yesterday that I did on the griddle. That garnered quite a lot of attention....thank you all. In today's lesson ladies and gentlemen we are going to do some Italian food on the flat top. I had a tub of San Marzano tomato marinara from last week that I made for Italian biscuit bombs that were fantastic...but that's another story for another day. I didn't want the marinara to go south on me so decided to use it for this meal and just amp it up quite a bit. Fair warning though, the pics are not at all good. They are blurry and I was not going to post this because of that but was encouraged to do so because of the simplicity of the meal, the outstanding finished product, and the creativity. My phone usually tells me when the camera lens is dirty but it didn't say a word this time. I just went along happily snapping pics only to find out they were a mess. Oh well.... Although very simple there were a lot of steps so that means a lot of pics :emoji_wink:

Start with the ravioli. This is partially cooked so thought my idea to finish it would be viable
001.jpg

A pound of spicy Italian sausage
002.jpg

It's hard to tell but this is yellow bell pepper and white onions
003.jpg

Spices to add into the meal: cayenne, crushed red pepper, Italian herbs, and minced garlic
004.jpg

Sausage coming along nicely
006.jpg

Add the peppers and onions then mix all that up
007.jpg

Time for the ravioli
008.jpg

Squirt some water into it then cover with a skillet. I wound up putting a bit of water in three times and mixed the pasta around to cook evenly
009.jpg

Pasta is perfect. Just a light little char (which was outstanding!!) and Al Dante as is preferred when cooking pasta.
010.jpg

Add sausage mix, marinara, and spices
011.jpg

Mix it all together. This is a God awful looking mess but it smells amazing
012.jpg

Make two portion sized piles, add a boatload of fresh shredded mozzarella, and cover with the skillet
013.jpg

A couple of nice little artisan rolls. These got brushed with garlic butter when they came off the griddle
014.jpg

Oh baby!!
015.jpg

Money shot. Plated with a nice Italian salad and the rolls
017.jpg

Folks, this was just crazy good!! We both absolutely loved it. I thoroughly enjoy cooking (and eating) Italian food but this one is right up there at the top with the best. Something about the flavor of the griddle is just exceptional. I guess it's no different than cooking in a big CI skillet. That char on the ravioli was beyond words and the texture was text book perfect. I can honestly see numerous variations of this in my future, that's for sure. Found another keeper that's going to be part of the regular rotation. Now to decide whether or not to post those Italian biscuit bombs. I just don't want to steal the limelight from Chile and SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan for the pulled pork versions they have recently posted. Those were both off the charts and what gave me the idea to do mine.

Once again, thanks for dropping in
Robert

Only you would have thought to cook ravioli on a flat top...genius! That whole meal looks outstanding and something I need to try out on mine in the very near future. Thanks for sharing man and post up those Italian biscuit bombs!

Ravioli on a griddle? I like it! The whole meal looks outstanding Robert.

I’m a fan of breaded and fried ravioli. This could be a healthier/cheater version of that since I don’t do much deep frying.

Awesome!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Wow! Only you would have ever thought to cook up ravs on a flat top Robert, that's one fantastic looking plate just bursting with favor. Tip of the cap and another huge Like Robert, your cooks never cease to amaze me. RAY

Great looking meal Robert! Heck I would love to be there just to see your face light up with a new idea on what to make next!

Ryan

This is about as close to authentic Italian as Taco Bell is to authentic Mexican. Perfect!

So what's your point? Do you have something more "authentic" you'd like to post and show us how it's really done in Italy? I'm sure you're an expert based on all the amazing things you've showcased in the forum.

Seriously though, what’s the lesson?

The "lesson" is that there's more ways to cook pasta than just boiling it. Unlike you, I'm just showing people alternatives to doing things in a different manner. Obviously you know far more than the rest of us. Why don't you show us a few things and set the record straight for those of us that apparently need a "lesson" based on your inane dialog.

Really Derek? Is that the best you have to contribute to the forum?
Robert

Last edited:
Looks good to me, we just had a similar dish made with Tortellini.

Authentic Italian? Much like Authentic Chinese, Authentic Polish, Authentic Mexican...If you put Authentic Food down in front of the Average American, born here after 1945, they either would not recognize the ingredients, be freaked out by the ingredients or hate the taste.
Many authentic dishes were Americanized, post War, because of ingredient availability and more importantly America Prosperity. American Prosperity saw the advent of MORE! More Meat, more Sauce, more Everything, often expensive, was added to simple Nose to Tail European and Asian Authentic Cuisine. Italians might eat Sauteed Vegetables, Pasta, Sauce, Meat and Cheese in the same meal but NEVER together. Sauteed Veggies, dressed with Lemon Juice, would come first, followed by Pasta, LIGHTLY Sauced, Meat in a separate third course and Cheese for Dessert.
In contrast, Italian Americans have no time to spend hours eating multiple courses every day. And who has time to prepare them? Everything got Mixed into One Dish, as above. Eventually these quicker meals became " Italian Food " both at home and in most Italian Restaurants. Authentic? Depends on your persective. As my friend Andrew Zimmern says, " If it looks good...Eat It! "...JJ

Personally I’ve learned over the years of doing ravioli on my flat top that it tastes best if you fry some bacon first then reheat the ravioli in the bacon grease. Chop up the bacon into bacon bits and sprinkle it over the top or add to your side salad.
The bacon flavor takes it from mediocre to phenomenal.

Last edited:
So what's your point? Do you have something more "authentic" you'd like to post and show us how it's really done in Italy? I'm sure you're an expert based on all the amazing things you've showcased in the forum.

The "lesson" is that there's more ways to cook pasta than just boiling it. Unlike you, I'm just showing people alternatives to doing things in a different manner. Obviously you know far more than the rest of us. Why don't you show us a few things and set the record straight for those of us that apparently need a "lesson" based on your inane dialog.

Really Derek? Is that the best you have to contribute to the forum?
Robert

I contribute to the chat - camaraderie, joking, and sharing ideas. Fantastic group of people in there. Easier than sending and receiving all of those PMs.

Only you would have thought to cook ravioli on a flat top...genius! That whole meal looks outstanding and something I need to try out on mine in the very near future. Thanks for sharing man and post up those Italian biscuit bombs!

Thanks John!! When I saw that the pasta was already partially cooked this really started coming together and making sense. It was good, that's for sure.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky