Fish Trifecta!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Getting the holiday gift baskets prepped. Smokin Salmon, rockfish, and tuna bellies.

Will take the rockfish to a jerky texture.

7cc9043101c3fdabeee434c60c876bc1.jpg

8040530fb25895a900e4cd9249603b20.jpg

653570f48d4211554da2f2eb9b871614.jpg

Separate containers for each while brining. 4-1 sugar to salt dry rub. Will brine for 8 hours, then rinse and air dry till pellicle forms. Season then smoke.

Smoke away!!!

Reactions: david reading
I'll be following! what internal temp will you take the salmon? I'd like to make some salmon for new years.

Hi Case,

Looks great so far!  I'm very interested in the details of your process, as I'll be smoking a few salmon tail sections for the first time for holiday gatherings.  Staying tuned...
popcorn.gif

That looks real nice, I'd like to try that dry rub. You mix salt and brown sugar 4 to 1, what kind of seasoning after the pellicle has formed? RAY

Yep a 4:1 brown sugar to kosher salt ratio. I will take the saon to an IT of 145. The rockfish is going to go a bit further as I want it to be more like jerky. The tuna bellies I am undecided on.

For additional seasoning I'll be using garlic and black pepper. Maybe a bit of dill on the salmon.

I'll be using my GOSM starting around 130 for a hour. Then bumping the temp to 150 for a hour. Then 180 until done.

I am going to use alder pellets for smoke in the AMNTS and mailbox mod.

Got everything drying. It's cold and windy enough out that I can do this in my smoker. So that's where the tuna bellies are. The salmon and rockfish are in my also cold garage with artificial wind.

d0b2c4b39315e4617b5517c2e81bf0f3.jpg

Smoker temp

34ef372aaab2de976b930871c3baa69e.jpg

07771de856c50eb31398d8c9f15dca31.jpg

Should be able to start the smoke in a hour or so. Pellicle is just about there.

Smoke away!!!

Boy howdy, that sounds and looks great, thanks! I'm definitely giving both the salmon and rocklers a try at this method, I've never dry-brined fish before . The temps you smoke at are just about exactly what I've always used. I just smoked a batch of salmon myself, so I'm all out of that till next season opens. I do have a freezer shelf stuffed with rockfish fillets that I'll be trying this on soon. Thanks again! RAY

It's all lookin great Case !

I've gotta make some more salmon !

Lookin forward to how your turns out !

:beercheer:

I had thought about hitting the rockfish with a teriyaki glaze but don't have any and just realized we are out if brown sugar too! So won't be making any and I'm not going to the store!

All loaded up. Going to cold smoke for 1 hour then apply heat. Currently 42 in the smoker. Blowing like mad and spitting snow oh and it's sunny, only in Central Oregon!

Last edited:
Lookin good Case, your weather sounds like SE Idaho weather..... Can't make up it's mind. We have a saying here that if ya don't like the weather, just wait 5 min and it'll change. Did you all have bad wind the last day or so. Just wonderin if we're gonna get that snow. Winds bout 50 mph today so I think we have a cold front coming in !

Looking good,  I always smoke my rock fish using a 80 degree brine and throw in a little garlic powder.  I never tried using brown sugar in the mix might have to try that next time.

Looking good,  I always smoke my rock fish using a 80 degree brine and throw in a little garlic powder.  I never tried using brown sugar in the mix might have to try that next time.

What this 80 degree brine you speak of? Need more info please! When I brine the rockfish like this I like to add a glaze part way through, but didn't this time as I didn't have any!

Smoke away!!!

Adam the tuna is Fantastic!!! I was worried about how strong it smelled while smoking. Never done bellies. The fat is perfect for the 4:1 brine. Funny most here smoke the bellies for bait. They use them for halibut fishing and salmon fishing in the rivers. Not gonna be giving up bellies anymore, these are great!!!!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky