First whole turkey smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fred raud

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Using the search bar, reading many posts on here, I think I have gathered enough info to be confident in my first thanksgiving turkey smoke.
Using a wsm, with a mix of maple leaf bricks
and lump.
I have no water in the pan, and have it stabilized at 325.
I have a pan with chicken broth, veggies and spices In the lower rack to collect the drippings from the turkey on the top rack.

The victim is a fresh organic turkey that I brined for 12h in a simple brine with some garlic and onion powder.
With an apple and onion stuffed up the rear, it starts

An hour in, temp is steady at 320! With the right fuel these WSM's are almost set and forget!
My back yard smells so good right now in the crisp fall air! I'm using a mix of hickory apple and cherry chunks.

4 hrs later

I put the neck and stuff in the dropping catch tray. Just tried the liver. OMG IT IS HEAVENLY!! It has a smokeless too it. :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky