First Turkey - Gobble Gobble

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmastera

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Denver
Didn't take any prep pics, but here is everything finished. The turkey just came out, the cabbage still has another 20 mins or so so I will post pics on that a little bit later.
cd2e42fc_vbattach11934.jpg

b7256549_vbattach11933.jpg

a20306c0_vbattach11932.jpg

757143a1_vbattach11931.jpg

WOW!!! I have never tasted anything like it. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I can't think of a time when I have ever had Smoked Turkey and boy was I missing out. The flavor is unbelievable. I rubbed the enitre bird with butter, sprinkled my rub lightly on it, stuffed with a Lime, Orange and Onion. Total cook time was about 6 1/4 hrs. I also did a Cabbage with to my amazment was out of this world, my wife even liked it and she said she wouldn't even try it.

Sorry about the messy pic but we were too hungry after slicing the bird so this is a post slice pic of the cabbage. Next time i will cook it a little longer, it was a little too crunchy. It almost didn't even taste liek cabbage.
38fc7c06_vbattach11938.jpg

Very nice jmastera
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
The chicken looks delicious!!!

Never been a huge cabbage fan but I am now convinced I should try it smoked..

Thanks for the comments. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of the turkey. I consider myself (as does the wife) to be a very good cook indoors and am pretty good on the grill but I was skeptical that I could do anything worthwhile in the smoker. The wife was a little hesitant that I was doing the bird in the WOPR since it isn't 100% yet but she took leftovers to work today so I guess I did a good job. Still learning but man is this fun. Not sure how I waited this long.

Turkey looks great..glad you enjoyed it.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
What temps does yours get to?
Not completed yet...like what? From the pics..can't see any vents. Do you have vents? Please show or explain your vents.

Still yet to put the vents on. Had a little trouble with my power tools, or maybe it was me being an idiot and not buying all the right attachmetns for the hole saw, either way still yet to add the vents. Luckily the door seal had to be removed because it was cracked and partially missing so the space all the way around the door acted as a temporary vent.

I have a Temp Controller system similar to Cheech's Wookie so i had the temps floating between 212 and 231. Still working on calibrating the on\off relay to hold the temps closer to 225. Overall it worked great, no creoste taste, dark meat juicy, white meat slightly juicy just a little dry, overal flavor was outstanding, not too much smoke, not too much citrus (stuffed with orange, lime and onion).

Left to do to make 100%
1. Vents
2. Buy\Install angle iron to expanded metal for additional shelves
3. Finish paint job, left side still needs paint, entire unit needs anther coat
4. Install slide out wood chip tray to right hand side for easy change out

I did it about 4 1/2 hours but I think it was still a little too crunchy, at least for me it was so next time Iwill do it longer. 2 hours sitting in a small pie tin, additional 2 + hours covered in foil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky