First Try with Roller's Amish White Sandwich Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried this today first time making bread from scratch, sorry the Rhodes Frozen Bread dough usually works well. I picked up the bread flour and they didn't have any yeast, but I knew I had some here. It was expired but some searching the net and a lot of people seemed to think it didn't make much difference, although most of them had it in the freezer or fridge mine was in the cupboard.

First off my bread didn't brown like yours, and it didn't raise as much as it should have, so I got a dense heavy bread kind of like beer bread but with a much finer and smoother texture.

Going to pick up some fresh yeast on Monday and give it another try next week.

I made mine in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it all looked to come together well and incorporate.

I was going to take pictures but it isn't worthy.

I made this on Thanks Giving and made rolls with it. I mixed all ingredients in the Kenmore with dough hook. I didn't kneed at all. I sprayed a bowl with oil put in dough and sprayed top of dough with oil and let it rise. I punched it down and let it rise and punched it down again. After it rose again I tore into balls and put in Pyrex dish and let it rise again before cooking. They were and are DELICIOUS. My family loved them.Thanks for the recipee Roller
biggrin.gif

I have had a few failed attempts at bread.  I tried this one figuring it might be good for sandwiches after T-Day.  It came out very nice & everyone liked it.  If I cut the sugar a lil would it still come out ok?

I have had a few failed attempts at bread.  I tried this one figuring it might be good for sandwiches after T-Day.  It came out very nice & everyone liked it.  If I cut the sugar a lil would it still come out ok?

I'm not sure how the sugar reduction would affect it but I am curious as to what the answer is - hopefully someone will chime in that knows about it. I'm not a very experienced baker but I can make this bread & it is great everytime
smile.gif
  Is it too sweet for you?

It was still very good but just too sweet for a sandwich bread that I would like to make on a regular basis.  I looked at a couple other recipes & many of them only had a couple tablespoons of sugar.  My thoughts were that the original recipe would be perfect for things like cinnamon rolls.  Please don't think that I am saying its not a good recipe,  I was very happy to finally get something out of the oven that actually looked & tasted like bread...lol!  As all of us do I just want to tweak it for personal taste.

Welp I couldn't wait for an answer & made up 2 batches :)   Gonna have 3 pizzas & 2 loaves outta that batch.  I got my camera working so I will post them if they don't appear to be an edible train wreck.  I actually made this with a friend of mine who loved the first try & wanted to learn how to make it as well.  This allowed a comparison of one loaf made in the kitchen aid & one loaf kneaded by hand....thats because I had to knead mine since the kitchen aid was doing hers.  Oh now I have an excuse to get my 2nd kitchen aid out of the attic!

Welp I couldn't wait for an answer & made up 2 batches :)   Gonna have 3 pizzas & 2 loaves outta that batch.  I got my camera working so I will post them if they don't appear to be an edible train wreck.  I actually made this with a friend of mine who loved the first try & wanted to learn how to make it as well.  This allowed a comparison of one loaf made in the kitchen aid & one loaf kneaded by hand....thats because I had to knead mine since the kitchen aid was doing hers.  Oh now I have an excuse to get my 2nd kitchen aid out of the attic!
I've been known to be in that situation quite a few times! Will be patiently awaiting your results 
smile.gif

Well there ya have it!  I used the counter top convection oven for the bread so I could do it at a different temp.  I have a double oven but the upper one tends to not work as even & used the lower convection instead......oh I love to cook with convection :)   First off the bread kneaded by hand was no different than by kitchen aid.  Tastes & looks exactly the same. 

I also experimented with the pizza by making them in different thickness.  All 3 were given A plus & here is the breakdown.  I set the oven at 500 degrees convection.  The thicker one at maybe 1/4" thin dough rose to around 3/8ths thick crust.  It was airy, crisp & not like a heavy doughy pan pizza tends to be.  I did do a third which didn't get into the picture cause everyone was eating the first two before it was done.  The third I made as thin as I could cause thats the way I like my crust.  It was perfect! 

It was really fun to make everyone pizza with the things they like instead of a compromise ordering a delivered pizza.  Smoking B I did not eat any of the bread tonight cause I was too full of pizza...lol!  I will report to you tomorrow on the sugar reduction which was 1/4 cup instead of 2/3rds.  Pizza dough didn't taste sweet at all. 

Going to do this today!  We are under a Winter Weather Advisory...when the weather gets bad...I bake!  Just hope it's warm enough in the house for a good rise time!

Will keep yall posted.  Have all the ingredients to get started!

Kat

I have a gas stove, so I just sit my bread in the oven to rise the pilot light keeps it warm in there. Not sure many stoves even have pilot lights anymore.

Going to do this today!  We are under a Winter Weather Advisory...when the weather gets bad...I bake!  Just hope it's warm enough in the house for a good rise time!

Will keep yall posted.  Have all the ingredients to get started!

Kat
I use a space heater and that usually works out well
I have a gas stove, so I just sit my bread in the oven to rise the pilot light keeps it warm in there. Not sure many stoves even have pilot lights anymore.
I was thinking the same thing Dave!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky