First try back bacon/Saftey concern

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
I cured a batch of back bacon that was due today and upon inspection one of the bags had a small leak and the meat was obviously bad. I opened another and it was a uniform pink color and cured through to the center I did a fry test and everything was good so I opened the rest to form a pellicle tonight and one of the pieces had a bit of an odd color on one side, smells okay but I’m a little nervous after one being bad. I used @disco ’s dry cure method. What do y’all think, go with it or throw it out and try again? Not sure if some discoloration is normal or not.
E5CDEF58-785C-422B-A487-E0889F05C850.jpeg

Last edited:
2 1/2 inches thick, 12 days in the fridge flipped and rubbed daily. fridge temp between 34 and 36.

Here’s one a little farther out with some better lighting
EE3AEF6F-7FF3-430C-8BF4-29B469E853CE.jpeg

Cut a slice... cook it... see what turns up... If it's not cured all the way through, cure it longer... A member was good enough to post this picture.. A ham that was not cured long enough and the cure didn't make it to the center...
Goes to show we need failures posted as well as the perfect stuff....
If you never make a mistake, you have never learned anything.. Mistakes are valuable learning experiences..

Cured Ham Fail Clarissa.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with the outside surfaces in your pics, however like Dave said, "It's the color of the inside that tells you how it was cured to center or not. 34° is a bit too low for curing. I keep mine right on 37°.
Cut open & check the inside.

Bear

Thanks guys, I cut one to the center and it’s for sure cured all the way through. The off color on that one was the only thing that had me worried.

Thanks guys, I cut one to the center and it’s for sure cured all the way through. The off color on that one was the only thing that had me worried.

You can get a lot of varying colors on the outside surfaces, due to air hitting some areas more than others, and when guys brine cure they get differences from being against each other, or against the side of the container, etc, etc.

Bear

You can get a lot of varying colors on the outside surfaces, due to air hitting some areas more than others, and when guys brine cure they get differences from being against each other, or against the side of the container, etc, etc.

Bear
Yeah I’ve had that happen before wet curing. These were all individually packaged and the rest came out without any wierd colors. I’ve got em in the smoke right now. I’ll make a post with the finished product. Thanks !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky