First Try at Vension Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tastetester

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Iowa
Since I've got the smoker running again, and at the same time have a bunch of ground venison in the freezer, I figured I needed to try my hand as summer sausage.

I used about a 60/40 mix of venison and pork shoulder and a spice recipe I got from my sister. Ground the pork through some old grinder with a odd plate with large holes.
IMG_1874.JPG

Then I mixed the two together and added the spices and reground them through a 3/16 plate in an old Enterprise grinder. Does this look like about the right texture, etc?
IMG_1883.JPG

Packed it into the ancient stuffer
IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

And stuffed into some muslin tubes I ran up this morning on the old sewing machine.
IMG_1888.JPG

I need some practice on both my stuffing and my knot tying. Or one of those hog ring pliers. It's in the fridge now for a couple of days of fermenting. Fried up a burger from the blow by and leavings.
IMG_1889.JPG

Very tasty and very much a summer sausage texture to it. I hope it has the same texture when it comes out of the smoker.

Have a great day,
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 3
Yes, cure #1. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients:
1) 6 lbs coarse ground venison
2) 4 lbs course ground fatty pork butt/shoulder
3) 3/4 cup + 1 tblsp low fat cultured buttermilk
(Cultured buttermilk will help give sausage its "tangy" flavor.)
4) 2 tblsp non-fat dry milk, for binder and additional lactose for fermenting
5) 2 tsp (0.40 oz) of Prague Powder #1
6) 4 tblsp + 2 tsp kosher salt, can substitute 4 tblsp of pickling salt
7) 2 tblsp whole mustard seed
8) 3 tblsp coarse ground black pepper
9) 4 tsp sugar, for fermenting to get tang.
10) 1 tblsp garlic powder
11) 1 tblsp onion powder
12) 2 tblsp paprika
13) 1 tsp ground marjoram
14) 1/4 tsp ground ginger
15) 1/4 tsp ground coriander
16) 1 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional), Same as Accent seasoning

I got it from my sister, but I think I've run across it on the internet, too, while I was looking for recipes. I'm still working on my order for freeze dried cultures, casings and all the rest of it. Hopefully I will have that ordered before the weekend and have my fermentation chamber up and running by next week. Then I will be able to try some different recipes.

It's very tasty in burger form, Jim. I'm hoping it will pick up some tang in the next couple of days in the fridge. i expect to be smoking it either on Thurs and Fri, and will post some finished photos then. I guess since i have about a pound that didn't make it into a tube in the same drawer in the fridge I can try it every day in burger form and see how the tang is coming along. That will be a tough job. Ha ha.

Thanks,
Michael

Great thread so far. I want to see smoker pics and finished pics. I really like using muslin bags. I have a old enterprize stuffer too. I dont use it thou.

Reactions: tastetester
Looking Good! Waiting to see the end product. The enterprise leaves a nice hand full in the bottom for a test fry. I still use mine for sausage, pressing crackling and squeezing out some sour mash.

Looks like a job Well done. I have an old stuffer like that also. Hasn't seen any use in years with the Cabelas and Lem
Great thread so far. I want to see smoker pics and finished pics. I really like using muslin bags. I have a old enterprize stuffer too. I dont use it thou.
Thanks guys. I'm afraid I run a pretty low budget operation, by necessity. But if I may ask, what don't you like about the Enterprise, besides the fact that it weighs 150 lbs empty and rusts at the speed of light? ha ha. It will probably have to do me for awhile. I would like to budget for a new grinder, though. Anyone have a suggestion for a good low cost grinder?

I liked the muslin bags, too, Adam. And very handy to be able to run out another yard in about 10 minutes if I run short. I hope they take to the smoking part of the job as well as I'm hoping they will.

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks guys. I'm afraid I run a pretty low budget operation, by necessity. But if I may ask, what don't you like about the Enterprise, besides the fact that it weighs 150 lbs empty and rusts at the speed of light? ha ha. It will probably have to do me for awhile. I would like to budget for a new grinder, though. Anyone have a suggestion for a good low cost grinder?

I liked the muslin bags, too, Adam. And very handy to be able to run out another yard in about 10 minutes if I run short. I hope they take to the smoking part of the job as well as I'm hoping they will.

Thanks,
Michael
They will. I just made these.

IMG_5387_2.JPG
20200302_190700.jpg
20200223_151359.jpg

Attachments

• 20200302_190700.jpg
    20200302_190700.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 3
Got the sausages smoked yesterday.
Starting up
IMG_1953.JPG

Some smoke after they dried for an hour or so.
IMG_1976.JPG

Getting close to ready to pull
IMG_1983.JPG

They stalled out at 140 degrees internal in the 165 degree smoker. They were above 135 for about 2 hours and at 140 for about a half hour. Hope that is good.
IMG_1985.JPG

Chilled in ice water and put into the fridge. This morning I opened up the one that I had the probe in.
IMG_1996.JPG

They lost 14% of their weight during the smoke.
IMG_2013.JPG

Not as much tang as I might have hoped for and I would maybe cut back on the garlic a little. The texture is very good.

Michael

The pasteurization times for beef, lamb and pork are listed in Table C.1. Table C.2 lists the pasteurization times for chicken and turkey.
Temperature... ....... Time.... ....... Temperature... ........ Time
°F (°C) (Minutes) °F (°C) (Seconds)
130 (54.4)........... 112 min
131 (55.0) ......... 89 min...........
132 (55.6).......... 71 min............
133 (56.1).................. 56 min............
134 (56.7).................. 45 min...........
135 (57.2).................. 36 min............
136 (57.8).................. 28 min...........
137 (58.4)................. 23 min............
138 (58.9).................. 18 min...........
139 (59.5).................. 15 min ...........
140 (60.0).................... 12 min............
141 (60.6).................. 9 min..............
142 (61.1).................. 8 min.............
143 (61.7).............. 6 min
144 (62.2).................. 5 min
145 (62.8).................. 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Looks great
Thanks Adam. I like the way the muslin casings worked out.
The pasteurization times for beef, lamb and pork are listed in Table C.1. Table C.2 lists the pasteurization times for chicken and turkey.
Temperature... ....... Time.... ....... Temperature... ........ Time
°F (°C) (Minutes) °F (°C) (Seconds)
130 (54.4)........... 112 min
131 (55.0) ......... 89 min...........
132 (55.6).......... 71 min............
133 (56.1).................. 56 min............
134 (56.7).................. 45 min...........
135 (57.2).................. 36 min............
136 (57.8).................. 28 min...........
137 (58.4)................. 23 min............
138 (58.9).................. 18 min...........
139 (59.5).................. 15 min ...........
140 (60.0).................... 12 min............
141 (60.6).................. 9 min..............
142 (61.1).................. 8 min.............
143 (61.7).............. 6 min
144 (62.2).................. 5 min
145 (62.8).................. 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).
Thanks for scattering this table around the forum, Dave. I was referring to it last night when it was approaching my bedtime and stuck at 140. So I knew it should be safe per the general instance. That never keeps me from worrying about the specific instant. I guess I'll know the answer to that question by tomorrow.
Looks great . Put them in a paper bag , and hold in the fridge for a few days , or longer .
I'll try that. I'm sort of surprised at how well the smoke has equalized overnight. And, given the weight loss, how moist and tender it is on the outside edges.

Thanks all,
Michael

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky