First Try at Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everyone wish me luck!! I'm going to attempt my first smoking experience  this weekend with a shoulder. Low and Slow. Probably going to do a 6lb shoulder, so I'm thinking 8-9 hours at 225?
Err on the safe side and figure 2 hours per pound....I used to figure 1.5 and found myself always pressed for time as I like to eat at 6. If you hit a stall that way you will be ok. If done sooner you can always foil, wrap in a towel and hold in a cooler or something. Like yesterday, I did a slab of ribs and put them in at 11 wanting to eat at 6 and they were just right. I usually do the 3-2-1 or straight 6 for a change but the slab was meaty and that extra hour made a difference. Just my opinion, of course, but if this is your first smoke with a chunk of meat allow yourself extra time. Oh, and 225 is a good target temp but be prepared for a little plus or minus there depending on your unit.

dacc10d0_6Hours.jpg
6 Hours

:)  Just imagining what the tenderness of the pork is underneath that crust.....All those juices just sealed up inside.  I am fricking hungry now :)  For a test, seeing the edges of the meat below the crust in that pic,, looks like a winner to me :) 

As a side note,, just a little trick my dad passed on to me.  The crusty part.... if you put a nice sweet bbq sauce on it,, it will moisten it up and can taste better then candy and pull back some of the skin texture, just let it sit there smothered for about 10 mins.  Just a thought for next go around,, all depends on what you like.

The last pic is a redu sorry.  

Using the 1.5 hours per pound plus an 1 hour I thought it would take 8 hours.  I am still at 172 degrees in 7 1/2 and hoping to make it to 190.  Plus I cannot keep the darn thing under 290 for the last hour.  Hopefully that will not kill it.  I too am getting darn hungry.  Luckily friends and beer have helped distract me from wanting to pull it off too soon.

I have not gone up a degree in an hour.  I have heard that that happened.  So I'll wait and see what happens.

At 9 hours I took the temp with a different Thermometer and it said 190 exactly.  So I took it off and it is resting.  Unfortunately the pic came out blurry.  I'll post one one before and after pulling it.

It was pretty Good

Do any of you have any hints on how to keep the bark crispy during the rest?  Mine lost the crispy and became chewy.  Other than that it had a good taste and great juicy meat.

I think you did great for a first time!

I hope you kept a log and took lots of notes?  That is recommended even after the learning curve comes down a bit.  For example the 1 1/2 hour deal is a very rough estimate.  Mine usually take longer and rest time is needed after that.  For another, two identical looking pieces of meat can cook differently and give you fits.  Always leave yourself plenty of time as the cooler rest in towels will allow you lots of leeway if you start early.

You are on your way.  Enjoy the ride and keep us posted on your future triumphs!

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky