First try at breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gomez93

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
We trim our own ribs for competitions, so I usually have several bags of rib pieces in the freezer and I'm always looking for a good way to make use of them. Hence my presence here 
45.gif

Partially thawed some pieces so I could remove the bones and cut into strips:

I ran through the pieces through my wife's KitchenAid grinder attachment with the coarse plate. 

I mixed in spices and ran through the fine plate. I did a test fry:

I thought it came out quite good, the wife thinks it needs a little more heat so next time I'll experiment with some crushed red pepper and cayenne. I also tried a little maple sausage, it was OK but not as good as the country.

My roundabout way of saying thanks to all who have posted their experience here so guys like me can be successful without ruining lots of meat. 

Looks good, what was your spice mixture?
Just a basic mix:

5# ground pork

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

½ tablespoon dried sage

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ cup cold water

I think I'll add some heat next time

A tablespoon or more of crushed red pepper will give a nice medium heat to 5 pounds of sausage.  I also like to throw in a little powdered ancho as well.

Just a basic mix:

5# ground pork

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

½ tablespoon dried sage

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ cup cold water

I think I'll add some heat next time

As we get ready for competition season to begin again I finally had some rib trimmings to play with.
I added 1/2 Tblsp of Cookshack Chicken Rub to the recipe and it turned out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky