First Tri-Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Co4ch D4ve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
First smoke for a while for me. I had both shoulders repaired (torn rotator cuffs) and couldn’t lift the doors on my smoker!

We don’t get see many tri-tips around here so when I saw these at a local specialty grocery store I bought 3 of them to try. I know a lot of folks marinate tri-tips and I will in the future, but I put a different dry rub on each and gave it a try. One got Paul Prudhomme’s RedFish Magic, another got Southern Flavor Charbroil Seasoning, and the last got a Santa Maria rub.

I rubbed each tri-tip a couple hours before the smoke and returned them to the fridge. As I started the smoker I got them back out to warm on the counter.

Into the 250° smoker until they hit 120°.
1BEA2B9D-C06F-449C-BC86-443BC00E4E86.jpeg

Moved them to over the coals in my firebox to sear. Pulled them at medium rare.
84913BF0-C642-4CEE-B203-A995085F79DA.jpeg

And plated with some corn and fried potatoes.
200D108E-4A96-4255-81D4-5A8E8A6FE09C.jpeg

I’m a little rusty at remembering to take photos of the smoke but the tri-tips were very good! I will be smoking more of these in the future for sure.

Hope everyone is well,
Dave

I waited about 15-20 minutes. They dropped a lot of juice in the pan but were still very juicy. I dipped in the pan as I ate!

Terrific tritips! Big like. Take care of those shoulders! Dr Disco recommends copious quantities of beer.

Dave that tri tip is done to perfection!! I’ve yet to find tri tip in my area. Well I have found it pre marinated but I want to do my own thing with them. Both shoulders huh? At the same time?

Terrific tritips! Big like. Take care of those shoulders! Dr Disco recommends copious quantities of beer.
Dr Disco,
Thanks for the like! I am doing as many 12 ounce curls as I can per day. Yesterday’s smoke session provided lots of opportunities.
Dave

Dave that tri tip is done to perfection!! I’ve yet to find tri tip in my area. Well I have found it pre marinated but I want to do my own thing with them. Both shoulders huh? At the same time?

Jcam222,
Thanks! Tri-tip is not found in my area either. Stumbled on it at Jungle Jim’s here near Cincinnati.

I had my shoulders done 7 weeks apart. Really bad one done first (3 tears in rotator cuff) and then the other (2 tears in rotator cuff). I am very happy so far with recovery. It is not easy but getting better every day. Worst part is sleeping!
Dave

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky