First Timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dnhnsly440

Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hey y'all, I'm pretty new to smoking by myself but I've been around it for a while. My step dad loved to smoke a good brisket, I only wish I had gotten more involved when he was alive. We lost him in January of this year, so when I got the money I decided to maybe see if I could do it like he did. He used a pretty cheap offset smoker and could turn out some of the best brisket I've ever had. He'd sit up with it all night throwing wood on the fire, no matter what it took. I started with an 18" WSM and I currently have 2 8lb pork butts on it as I'm typing this. Seems like I'm fighting my temp a little more than usual, but every time I encounter something I'm not sure about it seems like I come here for my answers, so thanks to everyone's post. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I hope to be as good as he was someday. I'm currently in Fort Worth Texas fighting the rain. Just wanted to thank all of the members in advance for all of the information here! I look forward to learning from the best!

Welcome from SC. It's really good to have you here on this really great site. There are some really fine folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep reading.

Good luck and keep on smokin', Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Welcome to SMF!  How are them butts doin?

Mike

The butts turned out great! Made a Carolina style finishing sauce that I got a recipe for on here and then another one with a sweeter finishing sauce that I did on my own and the family loved them. I had enough for maybe 4 sandwiches left after everyone was done and took some leftovers. The Carolina style was the bigger hit. It was tangy with just a little kick.

Reactions: mike5051
Awesome job!  Glad things turned out great.  Next time....we like pics!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Mike

Yeah, I meant to take some but we got caught up in picking at them as soon as I grabbed them out of the ice chest and got them unwrapped, then before I knew it they were pulled lol. Will make sure and get some next time!

Yeah, I meant to take some but we got caught up in picking at them as soon as I grabbed them out of the ice chest and got them unwrapped, then before I knew it they were pulled lol. Will make sure and get some next time!
I know how that goes!  "Points" anyway!

Mike

Reactions: dnhnsly440
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky