First Timer in Alabama

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbvii

Original poster
May 27, 2008
Hello gents (and ladies?)!

My name is Daniel. I'm down here in Birmingham, Alabama. I do wear shoes, I've had electricity my entire life, I defecate indoors, and the only time I've held a firehose is when I'm washing my car.
biggrin.gif

I inherited a GrandMac Triple Crown Deluxe from the previous owner's of my house and figured I'd try it out this past weekend. Had fantastic results using Meowey's instructions for pulled pork (coupled with a few other tips on the board).

Thought I'd start exploring more about this fantastic form of cooking after the rave reviews, so I figured I'd stop lurking and sign up.

I'll get some pics up of the smoker, Richtee. It's nothing special. Just an upright smoker with a charcoal bowl, water bowl, and single grill plate. Kind of run-down, but it worked as a test to see how things would go and it made some great meat.

I've got 1 great shot of the two Butts about 90% done. I'll get those up this evening.

Welcome to the smf ......... glad you quit lurking
biggrin.gif

Meowey sure nailed it with that pulled pork. I've done that twice now, both times were awesome.

Daniel, a warm welcome to SMF from a wanna-be Bama resident to a true Bama resident. This is an awesome place to get started and/or to share your smoking stories, get questions answered, and all around fun chatting between all of us.

My husband and I hope to relocate to the Hoover area in the next 10 years or so. We make an annual pilgrimage to stay a week in Irondale eating awesome q (Golden Rule, Full Moon, Dreamland) and ending the stay with a game in Tuscaloosa to cheer on the Tide! Love your town!

Roll Tide Roll!

Welcome fellow Auburn fan!
icon_rolleyes.gif
76 EE grad here but currently a LA resident in another tiger's turf. Enjoy the board.

Er...War Eagle...lol
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

There is definitely some great q around here. Unfortunately, most of it is in the backyards of various neighborhoods....and those locations can be quite exclusive to gain entrance to.
wink.gif

Also, this is the smoker I have....just more rust. Apparently, the previous owners didn't exactly take care of it. I'll take this one down and put up some actual pictures later on.
gmdcs_triple_crown_deluxe_charcoal_smoker.jpg

Nice looking vertical, hope it cleans up well! Get you some SOS pads and some soap and water, then spray the inside down with Pam and heat it up to around 300 - 350 for a couple hours to season the thing. Will be ready to smoke in no time!

Daniel, Glad you stopped lurking and came aboard. You sound like you are well on your way. I assume you are part of Caliber Session?

Yeah, I'm actually the singer. How did you hear about us?

Welcome Daniel!
Great intro had me rolling! This is a great place, I tried a brined turkey this w/e thanks to some cheering along in here and it came out soooo good, I will never cook a turkey the "traditional" way again!
SMF is full of wonderful peeps....
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Actually just a guess. I just saw your name and the name on your link and figured they were the same Daniel. Nice intro and site by the way.
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky