First time with my new Traeger.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomhooper

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 10, 2016
College Station, Texas
First time with the Traeger. Y'all wish me luck. Doing a pork butt today.

10 lb bone in butt.

Made my standard rub. No measurements.
brown sugar
Kosher salt
course ground black pepper
onion powder
paprika
Just mix it together till it looks and tastes right. Left on overnight

I'll baste it with sauce throughout the cook. I used to spend time making and tweaking my sauce. Now I just use Sweet Baby Ray's original. I like the way it tastes and I can't really do any better. I do add about 25% water and put it in the pit along with the meat.

Got the pit set at 210 and it's holding that temp very well. Fluctuating maybe 3-5 degrees in either direction. In the pictures you'll notice several probes. Got two just to check pit temp and two in the butt itself. Need to get a feel for the pit and want to know how accurate the onboard temp actually is. So far it's on point. Using Traeger Gourmet Blend pellets because that's what my lovely wife bought with the pit when she bought it for my birthday. Hickory, maple, and cherry.

firsttraegercook022620221stpic.jpg
gourmetblend.jpg

Awesome! Looks like a perfect start to get it dialed in! I like making my own sauce, but have also pretty much stopped (for tomato based sauces) , the kids like sweet baby-rays too. I’m in, looking forward to see how it pulls!

Looking good. Congratulations on the new smoker too

Hit a stall about 7 hours in. Had trouble pushing through. It's cold today here in College Station. Plus it was a fairly thick butt too. Finally got back on track. Getting ready to pull it here in a little bit. Want to hold it at 200 for a little longer.
Definitely different than my offset. I think I'm gonna like it but it is definitely a learning curve. Glad I started with a butt instead of a brisket.

almostdone.jpg

Reactions: Sven Svensson
First cook is in the book. Overall I am pretty happy with it. Took a little longer than I expected and I'm not used to a stall lasting that long. I may be wrong but I'm chalking it up to the smaller size of the pit. I have been using a fairly large offset so that may have something to do with it.
I do wish the the butt had been a little better piece of meat. There was a lot of waste but it is what it is. Finally got it to around 200 and held it there about an hour or so. Fell apart and the bone just slid out like you want it to.
Here it is in all its glory.
finallydone02262022.jpg
pulledpork02262022.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky