First Time Whole Hog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vedivan

Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Spotsylvania, VA
I'm going to be smoking a whole hog the first weekend in April. I have 2 smokers to chose from. both are large enough to do what I want, one is wood only, and the other is wood, and gas. I'm leaning toward the gas since it's my first time, and it will be easier to control the temp. I'm feeding about 84 guys. I've been told a 150 -160lb pig is what I want.

Things I've read that I've decided to do;

Split the spine so it will lay flat. Rub the inside, inject the meat, rub the skin with evoo.

Smoke at 225 to 250 max

What is concerning is that there seems to be a huge gap in suggested cooking times for a whole pig. I'm trying to serve this at 6pm. Can you help me determine how long to cook the pig?

Thanks!

Vince

Vince, I have done a number of whole hogs but never flattened. We normally do a 200 pounder in a rotisserie pig roaster. We take garlic cloves and soak them in vegetable oil for a couple of days then the night before the roast we "dress" the pig. We slice into the pig and shove in the garlic cloves, taking the vegetable oil we smear it all over, rub in seasoned salt, garlic powder and garlic salt. Keep it in the fridge over night and get it in the roaster by 5AM.We hope to serve around 6PM (sometimes close, sometimes not so close). I understand that a flattened pig will cook faster and we don't really keep track of the temperature in the roaster. You want the IT to be at 165 when done right? I would proably use the same timeline and start the pig at 5AM. It's easier to keep it warm that to cook if faster. IMHO

Thanks SS. I wonder if the difference between the 8-9 hr cook times & the 11-12 hr cook times is due to the pig being split. If I finished early, I'd be concerned about how to keep it from drying out. Thoughts?

Vince, we would just keep it on the spit until time to serve. It was never that far away, maybe an hour or so. If you could wrap it in foil that would also help. Because the hog is split I would go to the 9AM start time. If it gets close to the IT early back off on the coals or turn down the flame. Either way I'm sure it will turn out great! Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky